Monday, December 7, 2009

Work, Work, Work

Today was another slow day at work - I spent the entire five hours folding brochures and flyers - I'll stuff them tomorrow. Seriously, it was so slow that when Mike, the early gate ranger, changed cash drawers with the late gate ranger we had a total of $6.00 for our deposit - and admission to the park is $6.00 a car. (Now we did have a few people that came in that had permits). I'm sure that part of the reason we are not having that much traffic in the park has many reasons - starting with it being Monday (the tram does not run on Monday and the Hammock Inn is not open on Mondays - the little snack bar/restaurant), half the loop road (where all the walking trails are) is closed due to cutting of trees, the campground does not have many people due to the construction that is still going on (the roads are paved but they are still working on the retention ponds). In one way it is really pretty nice not having a lot of people in the park - the campground is really pretty quiet - but the flip side is I really don't have that much to do at work. Oh well, the problems of working!

When I got home from work Dan was already here - he had taken some chicken breasts out of the freezer for dinner, but he wanted to go into town and check on some things. We ended up going to the Verizon store and asking some questions. I HATE my phone - I have NO service here in the park but I have service for my air card. The guy at the store called someone and they talked about my phone - I have to call them tomorrow from the ranger station and they are going to talk me through some steps and see if it is my phone or just no service (I really don't think it is the service - like I said - my air card works fine and two of the other volunteers have Verizon and they don't have any problems with service). I'll just have to wait and see what happens when I call them tomorrow.

Let me back up a minute - while I was at work today I made a call to the tag and title agency here in Sebring. Why? Well, I've misplaced the title to the truck and the motorcycle. I have absolutely NO idea what happened to them - I know where they were before we moved into the new unit but I can't find them now. Sooooooo, we will have to get a duplicate title for the truck and I've asked Dale to get us a duplicate title for the motorcycle. I was somewhat surprised to find out that we can go to the office and walk out with a new title - of course it's going to cost an arm and a leg (over $85.00), if we want to save a couple of bucks - and I do mean a couple- we can wait for Tallahassee to mail us a new title - which will take 10 business days and only cost $78.00. Of course, I can't really say too much - it is my fault - I'm the one that is suppose to keep up with this stuff. I have torn the house up looking for those titles and I just can NOT find them. I don't know what happened. At this point, I just need to bite the bullet and get duplicate titles and let it go. Of course, Dan says that now is the time to sell the motorcycle (which is probably right) but he says he can't because I LOST THE TITLE - so he is going to blame me for not selling the motor. Oh well, I have big shoulders and I'll take the blame (and I guess it really is my fault). When we get the new titles I know where I will be putting them and they will stay there.

While we were in town today we went down to Wal Mart and picked up a few things (but NO frozen food! LOL). I wanted to get a black belt to wear with my uniform (I had been wearing a brown belt with black pants - NO! NO! NO!) and Dan wanted a few things. We also picked up a poinsettia plant for the picnic table outside - we have to decorate some outside other than just the lights. I bought some things like lunch meat, broccoli salad, banana pudding (desert), cokes, milk, butter - you know the basics). Anyway, we left with only spending about $120.00 - not too bad for not needing anything major. HA! HA!

I fixed the chicken breasts today with some of the noodles that we had purchased in Shipshewana and some salsa mixed together - we also had some sugar snap peas. It was pretty good - just took a lot of dishes to cook dinner in which meant there were a lot of dishes to wash - UGH! I guess that I haven't gotten used to this new kitchen yet - I just seems like I don't have any room to do anything - but I'm sure I'll get used to it soon. Oh while we were at Wal Mart we looked at things like powdered milk and evaporated milk - trying to figure out what we are going to take to Alaska with us - we know that we will not be able to get to fresh milk that often - we have looked on the map and the closest Wal Mart is in Anchorage which is about 150 miles away - ONE WAY. Not a trip we will take every week. We will really have to plan our grocery buying trips. It will be somewhat interesting to say the least - I'll keep you posted on our plans.

I have got to get it together and get some Christmas presents bought - I haven't gotten anything yet for anyone and IF I order things on line I better get it together - I only have about 10 days to make sure I get things in time for Christmas. I just don't want to go into the big city (whether that is Lakeland or Fort Myers) to go shopping. I guess the older I get the more I don't want to fight with other people at the malls. Anyway, I think I'll get on line tomorrow when I get home and see how much I can get done. (One of the other advantages - I can shop for Dan without him knowing - which is the only way I will ever be able to buy him anything without his knowledge since the only time we are apart is when we are at work!) Such is life as full time RVer's.

That is about all I have to report today - Donna, if you read this, I would love to be your neighbor in FarmVille. I sent you a message on your blog so you will know how to get in touch with me. I'll look forward to hearing from you. Crystal, I'm glad your open house went well - you just stress too much! Joyce and Jewel, I loved the pictures from the Christmas parade in Live Oak - you couldn't have found a prettier Angel! Take care all and -----------------

I'll talk to you tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. It will be interesting to see what you find out about Verizon. We are on Verizon and I never have a signal at Highlands Hammock. I lose it just before getting into the park.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can understand about the slowness of work.
    I can work up to 20 hours per week, but I cannot find enough to do to work more than 3 hours per day. It is more like 1.5 hrs. I didn't work Saturday at all.
    Brenda is in the office 30 hours/week, but it is slow for her, too.
    Her busy time is the end to the first of the month for billing and rent collection.
    The park has 43 sites and most are monthly rentals.

    ReplyDelete

Where does time go?

I have really fallen off the blogging wagon I guess.  I can't seem to get a schedule down so I don't post - but it's been almost...