Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A Small World

We hear all the time that "it's a small world" but I am amazed at how small the world really is. For example, I have become Face Book friends with a very nice lady. We met through a friend of hers this summer while we were out in Idaho (Rick and Brenda - the friend - came into the cabin and we had a great conversation which lead us to share "business cards and we have followed each others blogs this summer). Anyway, in the my blog yesterday I mentioned that Dan and I used to live in Franklin, North Carolina. Well, Donna emailed me to tell me she had relatives that lived in Franklin - not only did we know them, we lived in the same development. Small, small world!

I have received most of the stuff that I have ordered on line for Christmas - I still have a couple of things that haven't come in yet - but I am happy that so many have gotten here already. I know what I will be doing this evening - wrapping presents! I'll probably just wait and take all the presents down to Melissa's Christmas morning instead of trying to take them down early. I only have one more person to buy for - and I'm not sure what to get this person, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. (I have to, don't I?)

Dan and I were going to work in the storage room today - trying to go through some things and get them packed, but there was a mix up and we didn't have the key to get in. We'll go down tomorrow and work instead - that might be better anyway, it's suppose to be cooler. I want to make sure I have been through all the Christmas and Fall decorations before Crystal comes down - they will need to go through and decided what they want to keep and what they don't want. That way we can donate everything they decide they don't want to keep.

We are really trying to get rid of things that we don't need - we are serious about not having a lot of "stuff". This lifestyle has really proven to us that you don't need the "stuff" to be happy. We don't have a lot of space in the unit but the space that we do have I think we use efficiently. I will be really pleased when we are able to use the washer/dryer in the unit instead of having to use a laundry mat.

I know what I want for Christmas, but I'm not sure I will get it - I would love to get a Kindle (you know the electronic book), but those are kinda expensive. It would be really nice and it wouldn't take up room in the unit and I could download the books that I want to read and not have to buy and give them away. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait and see what Santa brings. Then we come to Dan - I thought I knew what I was going to buy him all summer - but now he doesn't want what I was going to get - so, I have had to go to plan B. I think I have figured out why people are so hard to buy for now - if someone wants something they go out and buy it for themselves instead of waiting until they get the money or until their birthday, anniversary, Christmas, or some other gift giving time. That sure does make it hard on gift givers.

I don't know if it is this lifestyle or just getting older but I would much rather have the money in the bank then things I don't need or won't use. Yes, there are times I miss my craft room and the big house, but I love being able to see the country and the wildlife. There is no way we could travel the way we are AND have a "sticks and bricks" house. (Retired educators just don't have that much income!) Sometimes, I will admit, I still look at some real estate and think "maybe we could do that", but I know we can't, and that's okay. This is what we wanted to do and I'm satisfied with our decision.

Well, I think I have bored you enough for one night. Tomorrow we will work in the store room and then I'm not sure what else we will do - I know that Melissa and I will have to do our grocery shopping this weekend. Hope you have a great rest of the week (all you school people- you only have TWO more days!)

Talk to you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does time go?

I have really fallen off the blogging wagon I guess.  I can't seem to get a schedule down so I don't post - but it's been almost...