Saturday, August 15, 2009

Fall is in the Air!

Hello all - well, this is a picture I took on Friday in Ashton. On our way to Rexburg we stopped by the ranger station to send a fax and the tree right next to the ranger station is already starting to turn - of course the temperature today was a balmy 57 degrees and the forecast is for it to be down to 28 degrees tonight with a chance of snow showers. This is August for goodness sakes - even the locals are surprised at this weather. Of course, we wouldn't mind a little snow - it would be sorta neat. We'll just have to wait and see.

We did go down to Rexburg on Friday - we went to Wal Mart and bought groceries and then we stopped at the Ace hardware store and bought Dan an ax and an electric chain saw (what he wanted for his birthday). Then we went into Yellowstone about 5:30pm and ate dinner. We stopped at one of the geyser basins and took a couple of pictures but it was really too dark for them to show up very well.

But the best pictures I took was of Old Faithful at sunset - those turned out really pretty well, but I'll let you be the judge.........................................

This is just one of the many I took - you will be able to see the them on the link - I really took quite a few, but I think this is one of the best shots - you know that you have to take a whole lot to get just a couple that is good. I hope you enjoy.




This is one of one of the geysers - this is about the only geyser that we got to before it was too dark for the pictures to show up - Dan has promised me to go back in around noon and go to all the geysers so I can take pictures. We also want to go back into the park at night - we found the 'sit-down' restaurant in the Old Faithful Inn (not Lodge). We found it AFTER we ate dinner Friday night - this is the Inn that you hear about all the time when people talk about Old Faithful - I have a couple of pictures of the interior of the Inn - it is really the coolest place - it has a double sided fireplace that you can walk into it is so large (too bad we were a day early going in to the park - since Obama was there today with the kids - oh well - they had already closed off one of the parking lots for the helicopter to come in).


On the way into Old Faithful we went down Firehole Canyon Road and got this picture of a female elk - there are also some pictures of the waterfall that is the canyon -

Now, the next picture I'm not happy with posting - but Dan is insistent that I do so - he took this one of me climbing back up the side of the mountain after I took some pictures of the waterfall - I handed him the camera so I could climb up the rest of the way and this is what he did .............

As you can tell, the wind was blowing pretty hard - but the temperature had not started to drop yet - I did in up putting on my rain coat. Anyway, you can see why I did not want to post, but I couldn't disappoint Dan.
Today was really very busy at the cabin, which was somewhat surprising considering the weather - but we have decided that we never know what is going to happen each and every day. On the days we think we will be busy we aren't and the days we don't think we will be we are swamped. Who knows??? We'll just have to wait and see what each day brings.
Well, I really don't have anything else to report - I hope to get some comments on the pictures and the close call to seeing the President. Hope you enjoy - here is the link to the pictures.




2 comments:

  1. The pictures of Old Faithful are my favorite! They are beautiful...I love pictures at sunset! Hope ya'll have a great day at work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the picks. I think if you take the individual pictures of Old Faithful and stack them on top of each other, and then flip thru them, you can see the eruption all over again. LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Where does time go?

I have really fallen off the blogging wagon I guess.  I can't seem to get a schedule down so I don't post - but it's been almost...