Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Back Home

Well, there is no place like home even if you are sleeping in your own bed at your Mother's house in Atlanta. (Let me explain that little line - when we sold our house in Dowling Park there were a few pieces of furniture we kept - some of which we took to my mother's house in Loganville. Those pieces included our bed - so when we go to her house we sleep in our own king size bed - YAHOO!)

Let's get to the details - yesterday we decided that we would go on down to Mom's and see her and take Crystal out to dinner for her birthday. We left here around 10 in the morning and I called both Crystal and Mom on the way down to let them know that we were on our way. This time we didn't forget anything that we needed (I even remember to take the coffee beans that I wanted to try and get ground with me!) We got to mom's around lunch time. She didn't want to go with us to get some lunch - she said she had had a late breakfast so Dan and I went into Loganville to do some running around and eat.

First, we stopped at the post office to mail a package for mom and then it was off to Home Depot to return the lampshade that Dan had bought for his outside light. Then we went to Chick Filet for lunch (I love their chicken sandwiches!). After lunch we went over to Wal Mart where they had a nail salon (same chain as the one in Lake City) so I was able to get my nails done while Dan "shopped". This salon was very busy and it was 20 minutes before they even started on my nails - but they did a good job I think. Dan couldn't find anything to buy (wonder of wonders) so we headed back to moms and were back by about 4 or 4:30. We sat around and talked for a little while, before she headed in to take a shower and get ready for dinner.

We left her house about 6:30 - I called the girls and they were just leaving their loft. We couldn't have planned the timing anymore if we had tried. We had just pulled into the parking lot at Applebee's when the girls pulled in and parked in front of us. We had a pleasant time and I gave Crystal her card, present, and a little gag gift that was suppose to go in her Christmas stocking, but due to the circumstances of that surrounded that holiday, I didn't get it to her. It was an antenna topper of a moose - she was always making fun of my pictures of moose while we were in Idaho - so I figured that I would just have to give her a little keepsake. I think she accepted it in the spirit it was intended.

After we left the girls (around 8) we went to the nearest Target on our way back to mom's. We had the screen room that didn't fit on our patio cover to return and then we found a different lampshade for Dan's outside light. Then it was over to Border's for Dan to look for a new book in his series. (He is really surprising me with the amount of reading he is doing!) Remember those coffee beans I had brought down??? Well, while we were at Border's I asked the guy at the coffee shop if he could grind them for me - and guess what - he did!!! Even though they were not his brand he ground them for me and didn't change me anything to do it. There are still nice people in this world.

When we got home, I did my quick post and then it was off to bed. After a pretty good night's rest we were up this morning and spent a little time talking to Mom about her upcoming birthday party. I had thought it would be a good idea to have it here at Unicoi, but Mom doesn't want to do that, and since it is her birthday we decided that we would just have a fairly small family affair at a local park. (Local meaning Loganville) That's fine - if that is what she wants to do that is okay with me.

We left her house this morning around 10:30 and headed home. We decided to stop at the Outlet Mall in Commerce - Dan wanted to go to the Coleman store where he bought a cover for his grill and a couple of different accessories. Then we went over to the Corning Ware store and I bought a small white platter and a square Pyrex bowl - I had been looking for the platter for months and Dan broke my Pyrex bowl while we were down in Sebring at Highlands Hammock. So that was a productive stop. I did a little window shopping also - and told Dan that he should be glad I wasn't working any more - I saw three suits I would have LOVED to have - but I just don't need anything like that anymore! Oh Well!

One other thing happened today - while we were still at mom's we got a phone call from our friends Neil and Carol - and Carol had an interesting offer for me. Her sister's son lives in China and he was looking for a retired educator to come to China in the next week to teach third grade for three months. Betsy thought of me and had Carol call me to ask if I was interested - of course, I thought that Dan would shoot it down immediately - but to my surprise he was actually interested in the idea. It would be a trip of a lifetime and I would have experiences that I would never have the chance to have again. But, common sense won out - we have already made commitments to do other things and I will not break those commitments even to have an amazing experience like that. So, the answer is No - sorry.

That pretty much catches you up to date on the last couple of days - it has rained here (and in Atlanta) all day today and is suppose to rain all day tomorrow also - we have to work tomorrow and I have the closing shift. I haven't done that by myself yet - so it should be interesting. I don't think I will have any trouble, but I'll let you know for sure tomorrow night.

I'm going to close now - hope you guys are staying dry and warm - and---------------

I'll talk to you tomorrow!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does time go?

I have really fallen off the blogging wagon I guess.  I can't seem to get a schedule down so I don't post - but it's been almost...