Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Rain has Arrived 6-2-2010

Today was a cool, rainy day. I don't think the temperature got above 60 today and the lows are suppose to be in the 40's. We have been told that the rain would come but we had had such nice weather it was hard to believe. Dan had told the rangers that he thought people from Alaska told everyone that it always rained just to keep us away. I don't know if the rain will continue but I really don't mind. It is nice to hear the rain on the roof of the 5th wheel - it sure does make nice sleeping weather.

We made a couple of rounds in the campground today - one to mark all the reserved camping spots - we had some people that were suppose to arrive today. Then we made our evening rounds checking to make sure everyone had paid their fees. If we have a question then we check with the ranger the next day (we don't take the money!). We also checked the restrooms/bathhouses to make sure everything was okay in them. Actually it is pretty quiet right now - we only have about 10 spots with people in them. A nice respite after this past weekend.

After making one of our rounds today we went into Costco just to look around and see if it would pay us to get a membership - they want $50.00 for a basic membership and Costco is just like Sam's Club - everything is sold in such bulk that it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense for us to do that. They did give us a visitor's pass just so we could check it out - we couldn't buy anything but it told us that we don't think it would pay for us to get the membership. After we left there we went to Walmart and bought groceries. There were a few things that we needed - sugar, butter, bread - and a few things that we wanted to have on hand - spaghetti and sauce - stuff like that. That was a $152 stop. Oh, have I told you that Juneau has a 5% sales tax on EVERYTHING - including groceries - all groceries??? Isn't that crazy???? I don't think we have been anywhere else where they charge sales tax on groceries. But, you do what you have to do - and that includes paying 5% sales tax.

This afternoon we came home and watched Invictus which was a good movie - it's one of those movies where you are routing for them at the end. Then we made our evening round in the campground. Got home and I fixed a pizza - bought at Walmart today- and we put in Amelia - we made it about an hour and a half in - had about 20 minutes to go in the movie and it stopped. It would not go any further. So, now I haven't seen the end to the movie. We tried stopping it - taking the disc out - putting it back in and then fast forwarding and it gets to the same spot and stops. We will tell them at the store when we take it back tomorrow, but it really makes me sorta angry. But there is not a whole lot I can do about it at this point so I just need to let it go.

Tomorrow I'm going to try and get the bills paid and the checkbook balanced - then get the "black book" done for two months - wish me luck!!! We will do our regular stuff in the campground and get ready for the weekend. I don't really think we will be busy this weekend - but we need to make sure everything is ready for anyone that wants to come in.

Well, that's about it for today. Hope everyone has had a good week so far - just two more days for all you working stiffs. Hey, kids, IF you are out there how about just a quick "hello" on the comments just so we know you are still out there. Take care everyone and -----------------

I'll talk to you tomorrow!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm alive. Sorry I haven't been commenting. Since they turned the wireless internet off at work I have to read the blog on my phone. Makes it hard to comment. Glad things have slowed down for you all. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're still here....sounds like you're having fun! Enjoy the adventure!

    ReplyDelete

Where does time go?

I have really fallen off the blogging wagon I guess.  I can't seem to get a schedule down so I don't post - but it's been almost...