Friday, May 21, 2010

Siteseeing in Haines 5-21-2010

Today was an absolutely beautiful day! However, let's start at the beginning - I have been telling you all about the unit and how dirty it is - well, here is proof. I took this picture today as we were driving in. I'm not really sure if you can really tell how very dirty it is soooooo --------------------
I'll show you the back window - Dan had taken a razor blade and tried to scrap the dirt off the window - just so he could see out. As you can tell, it didn't work. Tomorrow, before loading on to the ferry - we will wash the whole unit and see if we can't get this sucker clean! It will probably cost us a small fortune, but we have GOT to get this thing washed!!!!

Now, Dan is "chopping at the bits" to get over to Juneau. To tell you the truth, I am too. I'm really looking forward to getting all set up - everything put away where it belongs- the grill out so we can fix some chicken (tomorrow night's supper), the awning up and the screen room up. It will be nice to be able to just sit in the same place longer than a day or two.


Now, I told you that we were going to play tourist today and we did - we drove out to the Chilkoot State Park and to the Chilkoot Lake early this morning. This picture was taken or some ducks on the river that empties out of the lake into the gulf.



However, I would have to say this is one of my favorite pictures from today. This was the lake early this morning. It was foggy and quiet - a little drizzle. I just thought it was beautiful!




This is the same lake just a little later in the morning - I like this one too!





Now, we walked down on the harbor today and this great dog was just wondering around - He would just walk up to you and want to be petted. A really cool old dog!






Now, this was later in the day - at Chilkoot State Park.




Between going from one side of Haines to the other we would come by the "house" and let the pups out. I know that I talk about them all the time, but I don't think I have really shown you a picture of Sam (I think I have put pictures of Jessie on before but not Sam) so ---------------


This is Samantha Ann. Isn't she a good looking puppy dog!




Okay - let's change gears a little ( sorry about this - it just seems like I am just jumping around on the pictures, but I took three different batches today - and trying to get them in any order - well, I just didn't do a good job!)



This is another of the pictures I took today that I really like. Who would have believed we would have tulips in the middle of May. Aren't they beautiful???


This one was taken out at the State Park. You know, I really like this area. The first time we were here on a cruise six years ago, we ferried over to Haines from Skagway to do a jet boat excursion. To tell you the truth, I was not overly impressed; but we didn't see much of Haines - just from the ferry dock out to the Eagle Preserve. This place has much more to see and, hopefully you can see, that it is really a very beautiful area.
There is going to be quite a few pictures that I will want to actually print out from this trip - this entry on the blog has quite a few of them (I hope that I will be able to enlarge some!) Now, we didn't see any wild life on any of our adventures - but we did see something out in the bay - I'm not sure what it was, but it had a fin (now, I thought at first it was a dolphin, but they don't have dolphins up here - so maybe it was a young Orca although I never saw a "blow"). I can't wait to get on the ferry tomorrow and see what kind of sea life we can see.
Well, I'm going to sign off for tonight - I hope you enjoyed the pictures - I'll be sure to post what ever we see and the new campsite tomorrow. In the meantime - you guys have a good weekend and ---------------------
I'll talk to you tomorrow!!!





Linked up to     :http://www.theviewfromrighthere.com/blog/?p=6848


8 comments:

  1. Hope you enjoy your new "home." I've loved the pictures so far. Can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful pictures, especially the one at the state park taken with the trees framing the mountain. I have one so similar taken at the Tetons; in fact, it's the screen on my cell phone. Good picture of Dan!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your last photo is amazing, stunning view and beautifully framed. Do tulips grow wild there or were they in a garden?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the tulips were just growning along the side of the road - they were beautiful! Thanks and I'm so glad that you like the photo's!
      Hugs -
      Carol

      Delete
  4. The lake shots with the fog are my favorites as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I want to put them on canvas now that they have that option with photo's. I would love to see how they turn out. Hope you'll come back and check out some of my other favorite pictures.
      Hugs -
      Carol

      Delete
  5. Love the pictures and your blog. I found you on Weekly Top Shot. I'm now a new follower on GFC and linky. I want to invite you to come visit my blog. I have a Photo challenge and I would love it if you came and entered. @ http://www.arosiesweethome.com/2012/03/picture-is-worth-thousand-words-photo.html
    I hope you come check it out.
    PS I also host a weekly party. The Sunday Round Up you can come share anything you like. http://www.arosiesweethome.com/
    Thanks
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Rose - I'll be glad to join in!
      Hugs -
      Carol

      Delete

Where does time go?

I have really fallen off the blogging wagon I guess.  I can't seem to get a schedule down so I don't post - but it's been almost...