Friday, February 19, 2010

Dinner with friends

Today we went over to Lake City and did our running around there. We went to Wal Mart and I got my nails done - you know I'm new to this nail stuff, so I ask a lot of questions. Today I just had to have a "fill in" and they changed to nail color. I have been very impressed with the nail polish - I had the acrylic nails put on about three weeks ago and the polish had not chipped or flaked at all. The only reason I had to have them done again was because they had grown. Anyway, as you may recall, the reason I am doing acrylic nails in the first place is because of the one nail that is split. Hopefully this will repair that nail (plus I like the way they look in the meantime!).

After I had my nails done we looked around the store for a few things - first on the list was the heater - not a heater to be found in the store. I think this is the wrong time of the year to be looking for a heater. All the stores are putting out fans and air conditioners so I don't think we are going to be able to find a heater. We were able to find some more business cards and return address labels, but I couldn't find the file folders I wanted (who would have thought that Wal Mart would not have plain ole file folders).

Of course, while I was having my nails done, Dan found all kinds of things that "we just had to have" back in the sporting goods department. We did get a mosquito repellent Therma Cell - and also some repellent to put on as well as two mosquito head net. I know we won't need this stuff until we get to Alaska, but we learned while in Idaho, if you wait until you get were you need it you are going to pay about twice as much as you should. Dan will store this stuff down in the 'basement' until we need it, but it will be nice to know that we have it when we do need it. I picked up a couple of things that I needed for the salad I was going to take to our dinner engagement tonight and then we came home.

I signed online and did some research about guns and taking them into Canada - Dan has a shotgun he wants to take with us and wanted to make sure that it was legal - I was able to print out all the paperwork that he has to fill out to 'declare' the gun when we cross the border. He will not be taking any of his other guns with him - and to tell you the truth - I don't know why he wants to take the shotgun, but as long as he is legal then that's between him and the Mounties.

I also did some research on the ferry that we will need to take from Haines to Juneau - and found that there is one ferry that goes directly from Haines to Juneau in 2 hours and 15 minutes. So I called and make reservations - Dan had to go out and measure the length of the unit WITH the truck attached. The reason why I wanted to go ahead and make the reservation is these ferries are not that big and they fill up fairly quickly - AND they only run this one special ferry (the one that does the trip in 2 hours) for two days between Haines and Juneau - then they move it to another run. So, to make a long story short, I wanted to make sure that we were on this particular ferry. Yes, there are others that make the run, but they are about 2 to 3 hours longer and the price is the same. So, we figured that it would be better to take the fast ferry for the pups. I called, reservations are made and tickets are purchased (a little under $400 - not as bad as I thought it would be). One more thing I won't have to worry about.

Then, this afternoon the couple that we were going to meet at our friends that wanted to talk about full timing stopped by. They were interested in seeing our unit - so we invited them in and I showed them around and we sat and talked for a few minutes. I hope that we gave them some good information. After they left I put together the salad and then we headed over to Patty and Dino's for dinner. Another couple from the village that do some RVing was also there and we had a nice evening talking and getting acquainted. I think that we do things a little differently than the other couple and I would imagine it would be good to get two different perspectives on the idea of full time RVing if you were considering the change in lifestyle. As I have said before, I sure wouldn't advise anyone to do it the way we did - just jumping in so quickly. (Not that we hadn't had camping experience before, but we didn't take the year or more that many people advise you to take to plan on becoming full timers. We decided the first of April that this was something we wanted to try - we sold our house (a miracle in itself in this market) and were on the road to our first assignment on May 18th - six weeks start to finish - WOW!)

We were home about 9 and I am about ready to go in and read for awhile before going to sleep. I hope that you all had a good week and are looking forward to a good weekend. Take care and ----

I'll talk to you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does time go?

I have really fallen off the blogging wagon I guess.  I can't seem to get a schedule down so I don't post - but it's been almost...