Friday, February 17, 2012

Remodeled Bedroom

Today I thought I would show you our Master Bedroom.  I wanted to show you all the steps that we have gone through as we have progressed to the master bedroom we have now.

As many of you know, we bought our house about a year and a half a ago as a foreclosure - it was not in that bad of shape (at least the interior of the house)- just very outdated

The other thing that many people don't know, when we first moved in, we had NO furniture - not even a bed.  You see, we had been full time RVer's for years and we didn't have any thing - except some things we had stored at my mom's - to move into the house.  For the first three months Dan and I slept on blow up mattresses and sat on fold up lawn furniture in the living room!

Let's go for a tour of the different phases that our master bedroom has gone through in the last year and a half - please get ready for a lot of pictures!

After the first three months we finally got our bed that we had left at my mom's house in Atlanta - and started phase one of the bedroom ------


Don't forget to check out the mirrored window blinds!  Have to love them - NOT!

The main thing that we loved about this phase of the bedroom was -
WE HAD A BED!!!


This is a shot of the bedroom from the bathroom door.  Still a little bare, but so much better than sleeping on the floor! 

 We lived with this stage for about three months before we went to phase two --


This picture was taken from the same vantage point as the last picture, but now we had painted the walls a shade of green (I can't stand white walls!), gotten rid of the mirrored blinds (yeah!), bought a new comforter for the bed and new lamps.  We have even hung some pictures on the wall!


I'm not really sure if you can tell from threse pictures just how big this bedroom really is, but it is a large room!

Now, if you have noticed, in all the pictures above,  I have only shown you one side of the room -

well, here is the other side.


Yes, that is an angled wall you see. 

One of the reasons, others were very evident, that we decided to do the major remodeling of the house was - every interior wall of the house was at a 45 degree angle.  Yep, you read that right - every single one!  Yikes, what were these people thinking!

Now, I don't normally have a bag of clothes hangers sitting on the floor, but I took this picture the day before we started the BIG remodeling
project.

Speaking of which -

This was day one of the project 

Yes, that is our bed in the background, and no walls!  We gutted all the interior walls of the house (but I'll show you other rooms in the house in later posts)!


Day four saw walls going back up - and those walls in the background are the master bedroom walls - not an angled wall in sight!


Now, let's fast forward to six weeks into the project.  Dan and I move back into the house (during the first six weeks we had to live at my daughter and son-in-law's house because we had no bathrooms or kitchen in our house).  There still wasn't much in the house - but we did finally have a bathroom we could use (but still no kitchen) and we were able to uncover the bed -------


Not a whole lot in the room - but we do have a "new" bed - which is a king size adjustable bed (which I love)!  Yes, we painted the walls two different colors, but when you see the final decorated room I think it will make sense.


Fast forward again to eight weeks into the project.

Furniture is finally starting to be delivered.  Of course, we did not buy all the furniture from the same place - that would have been too easy - and the pieces do not match. 

One of the things that I did not want to pay a lot of money for is curtain rods - so Dan and I came up with a very inexpensive alternative.  These windows are eight foot long - plus there is another set on the long wall and sliding glass doors that open onto the Lanai.  I refused to pay the $200 or more for curtain rods for EACH window.  After thinking and thinking - we came up with an idea - but I'll wait to show you what we did on a later post!


Fianlly, after twelve weeks we had our finished master bedroom!
Please excuse my photo's - I do not edit my photo's. 


The cedar chest at the foot of the bed serves two purposes - first, it was my grandmother's and it is great storage for blankets.  Second, it gives the pups a way to jump up in the bed.








Through the door in the picture below is the remodeled master bathroom and master walk-in closet.  I will save showing you these spaces for a future post!


On the far side of the bedroom, where that angled wall used to be - is now our home office.






This is the wall with the sliding glass doors that lead out the Lanai and pool.


All the photographs that are used in the room are photos that I took on one of our trips to the Caribbean.  I love using photos of places that we have been in our home and have used them in other places as well.

I hope that you have enjoyed the reveal of our master bedroom - we think that it has gone through a major transformation from this -------


to this ---------

                               I would love to know what you think!


I'm linking up to:
                        504 Main

five days five ways | feature friday free for all                                              Truly Lovely

UndertheTableandDreaming                               

                                

4 comments:

  1. wow, what a HUGE space! you really made it a lovely area. And I love you call the porch area a lanai... we use that term as well, being from Hawaii :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a big space - and this arrangement is not what we had originally planned for the space, but you know LIFE happens and things develop and take you in directions that you don't expect. Yes, we call our screened in areas around our swimming pools lanai's here in south Florida - guess we are trying to capture some of the tropical "flavor"! LOL! Thanks for stopping by and hope you will come back ofter - or better yet, become a follower!

      Delete
  2. Don't you love not being perfect? I do!! I'm your newest imperfect follower-stop by for a visit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire- trying to be perfect is impossible - I do the best I can, but I "don't sweat the small stuff"! Glad to have you onboard!

      Delete

Where does time go?

I have really fallen off the blogging wagon I guess.  I can't seem to get a schedule down so I don't post - but it's been almost...