Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Master Bathroom Reveal

Last week I shared the master bedroom with you - so I thought I would show you the master bathroom this week.   Believe me when I say that the difference between the before and after is A M A Z I N G!!!!!

Let's look at some before pictures -

Before we actually get started, let me apologize for the quality of these pictures.  Actually, these are pictures of pictures.  You see, when I flew down from Alaska to look at the house I needed to take pictures and send them to the hubby who was still in Alaska working - and I didn't have my computer with me.  So, I took the pictures, put them on my daughter's computer, sent them to Walmart photo and had them printed in Juno, Alaska.  MM picked the pictures up two hours later.  Anyway, in the last two years my daughter's computer has crashed and I don't have access to the disc drive with the "real" before pictures.  So, I have to take pictures of the Juno pictures for you to see what it really looked like.  All this said, let's see what the bathroom was like.


Hello, ugly gray vanity!

Really, who would put a gray vanity in a house, especially with the shower tile that is coming up.  You really won't believe the combination!


This is looking back towards the bedroom.
Can you tell that the closet wall is at an angle?


Another angle coming together.  Through this door to the left is the shower and the toilet.  Completely closed off and DARK!  (Scary!)


Pretty bad, huh? 

Remember, I told you that ALL the walls in the house were angled and the bathroom was no exception.  The two closets came together at an angle here and in the picture above.


Here is a picture of the tile I was talking about! 

Really, who in their right mind would put that tile with a gray vanity and the wallpaper?????

The only good thing about this bathroom was the size - it was large and I loved the size of the shower. 




Can you see why my daughter told everyone that her parents had bought the "UGLY" house?


Packing things up for the move out of the house.


Mirrors, Mirrors, everywhere!

There were so many mirrors in this place - I saw things and parts of my body that I really did NOT want to see!  LOL!!

The two pictures above were taken the day before we started the construction.  As you can see, not much had changed in the nine months since we had moved in, but that was about to change dramatically!

Day One of Construction - Demo


Walls are almost all gone (they will be before this is all done).
If you look on the floor above I think you will see where the angled walls were a little better.  These were the closet walls.
The door on the left was a very small (angled) linen closet.  You could not even get a folded towel in this closet!

Day Two:

All the walls are down - the UGLY gray vanity is gone along with that terrible 1980's vanity light!


Ugly tile in shower GONE!

Day Three:

Walls are going back up!

And they are all STRAIGHT!

No more door separating the shower and toilet area from the rest of the bathroom area.  However, I still don't want the toilet just sticking out there - so we had a half wall installed.  There will still be the open feeling but a little bit of privacy also.


This shot shows that the bathroom area backs up to the laundry room (which went through more changes after this picture was taken).

Fast forward to Week Three:


Drywall is finally installed, but there is still a long way to go!

Six weeks into the project and we have tile in the shower and on the floor, the walls are painted, and the new vanity is in the room - but not hooked up. ( I'll explain about the vanity a little later.)


Eight weeks into the project we were able to move back into the house because we finally had a working bathroom!
Yahoo!!


Today, we have a completely different bathroom.




No more gray vanity or ugly 80's lighting.



A little decoration to help with the privacy in the toilet area.
Okay, let's talk about the vanity a minute.  I have always dreamed of having a chest converted to a vanity for a bathroom, but I always thought it would be in a half bath and it would be a small chest of drawers.

When Dan and I were looking for furnishings for the house during the remodel we went to a home decorating store called 'The Barn' in Lake Alfred, FL.  They have three different buildings that house different types of furnishings.

The first building we always go into is the Antiques building.  The owners of the complex go to Europe every summer and buy antiques and ship them back to the US and we have found some nice things here in the past.

On this particular day, right inside the door, we found this beauty.

Check out the detailing.




 It was everything I thought I wanted plus some.  It had already been converted, all we had to do was add the plumbing fixture and hook it up.  Then to make it even better - it only cost $645.00!  About half of what a ready made vanity would have cost.

Some people have asked about going from a double vanity to a single - but it doesn't bother us, and IF a future owner of the house ever wants to go back to a double vanity - we left the plumbing in the wall - so it would not be a major reno for them to go back (but I don't know why they would EVER want to do that!)

 You might think that we spent big bucks on the reno here, but we didn't.  I have already told you what the vanity cost - the lighting and the mirror came from Lowe's.  Yep, you read that right - Lowe's.  I couldn't believe how close the mirror came to matching the vanity and it is the perfect size - cost $89.00.  Lights were $69.00 each.  They can be hung with the light shining up or down and the arms on the fixture move.  We actually came in WAY under budget on the bathroom (but that is a good thing because some other things came up in the reno that we weren't expecting that took up that extra money).

I am extremely happy with the master bathroom.  What do you think of the difference between this



and this?

I would love to know what you think of our new master bathroom - leave me a comment.  It will be interesting to see your take on the changes.


Next week I'll share the master bedroom closet and the linen closet- they went through quite a transformation also!

This post was featured on:

                                             Three Mango Seeds

                   UndertheTableandDreaming

Linking up to:

http://www.theshabbycreekcottage.com/2012/03/how-to-make-hanging-starfish.html
http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/2012/03/sat-nite-special-127-full-room-reveals.html
http://www.houseofhepworths.com/2012/03/28/hookin-up-with-hoh-93/
http://littleinspiration.com/2012/03/create-inspire-party-features-4.html
http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com/2012/04/april-before-and-after-party.html





                        

                        


                   

                           Button
Between Naps On the Porch                    


It's Overflowing             Grab My Button        


                   French Country Cottage



                


                

Redoux                  five days five ways | because every day is different             Chic on a Shoestring Decorating        


                            

                                    UndertheTableandDreaming                             

49 comments:

  1. That is beautiful. Congrats on having a wonderful space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to this ~ we just redid a powder room and looks like we have the same taste! Love all the finishing touches you did, it looks fantastic! ~Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, that really is a total transformation. Gorgeous. I love it. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone - I appreciate all the wonderful comments. Hope you all will come back and see all the other wonderful rooms we have done in the house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm only saying this because in my last house, I had the world's tiniest basement bathroom that originally had carpet. Trust me, I know ugly....and there was little way for you to go anyplace but "up" with your remodel! Those tiles were really bad as you said.

    You did a wonderful job of making this a modern room. I love the toilet divider and the lovely furniture piece used for the cabinets. It's amazing that you spent so little to update your room.

    Thanks for sharing this wonderful remodel on my party. I hope you'll come back next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Shannon - I be sure to come back next week! (Hope you'll come back also!)

      Delete
  6. It looks so pretty! I want to do mine now! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carol, your master bathroom is absolutely gorgeous! I love your vanity. I bet you are enjoying your make-over as much as we are enjoying ours. Hope you have a wonderful evening, Gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail - I am enjoying the makeover! Hope you will come back for the rest of the reveals!

      Delete
  8. Hi Carol, it's Marsha from everylittlebirdie.blogspot. Thanks for visiting my blog earlier today. I thought I'd pop in to yours and I'm so glad I did. Love the Master Bath remodel. The vanity is beautiful. Enjoy your new room!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marsha - I'm so glad you decided to "pop over"! I hope that you will come back often to see ALL the changes that we made to our home! (I enjoyed your blog and will come back often!)

      Delete
  9. Beautiful. Huge transformation and seems like it was very quick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HaHaHa - It might have seemed to be quick, but when you are living in it - well, it seems to take FOREVER!!!! The total house transformation took a total of twelve weeks - that is a LONG three months, especially when you are living in the house with no kitchen and partial electricity in June/July in south Florida. NOT FUN! So glad you liked the transformation - and I hope that you will come back to see the other rooms in the house!

      Delete
  10. wow!! your bathroom is just beautifull!!y you must smile every time you see it!! i will come back and see the other rooms too!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much - It is so much better than what we had! LOL! I appreciate your following the blog and I'll be happy to follow you too!
      Thanks again and happy weekend!

      Delete
  11. Oh definitely a showstopper! I love your choice of the sideboard/cabinet for your bathroom sink. Everything looks amazing :o)

    Blessings & Aloha!
    I'm stopping by from Susan's Metamorphosis Monday. I'd love if you get a chance to stop by and take a peek at our daughter's work in progress for their nursery :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just stumbled upon your blog and I love it! Your RV journey is something I am hoping my husband and I get to do in the future! I also am a cancer survivor, renal cancer, and I am living with complications from the many surgerys I have had. I used to be a big diy'er, but have had to scale back my creative projects. I also have been struggling with menu planning and I think you have just rescued me!!!!! So looking forward to joining you in your life journey of ups and downs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy - So glad that you found me and I'm happy that you are coming along on this adventure with me! Believe me when I say that living with the "Mountain Man" is ALWAYS an adventure, but I wouldn't have it any other way! Welcome aboard - it is sure to be a fun but wild ride. ;o}
      Carol

      Delete
  13. Hi Carol, I just saw your blog over at DIY Projects & Decor. What an amazing and beautiful bathroom ya'll created. Everythings just so beautiful! I'm now a new follower. I hope you'll stop by my blog and visit.

    Hope your having a wonderful weekend.
    Hugs...Tracy @ Cotton Pickin Cute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy - Thanks for wonderful comments - we are very happy with the way the bathroom turned out - of course, anything would have been an improvement - LOL! I'm so happy that you are following along and I'll be sure to come by and visit you at Cotton Pickin Cute!
      Hugs -
      Carol

      Delete
  14. What a beautiful transformation! Thank you for sharing your creativity at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi again Carol.....I know I already left a comment on this post, but I just wanted to tell you that you were featured on my Saturday Picks features from my party this week. Thanks for linking up! There is a feature button on my blog if you'd like it for your feature page or sidebar. Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW Shannon! I am so excited and very honored! Thanks so much for featuring me on your Saturday Picks!

      Have a great weekend!
      Hugs -
      Carol

      Delete
  16. beautiful transformation! I'm sure you are enjoying every minute in your new space. :) I'm here via Tatertots & Jello's link party...and your newest follower. ~ Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megan - Thanks for the wonderful compliment - and yes, we are enjoying the new space! So happy you "hopped" over and welcome - glad your on board!

      Delete
  17. Looks fantastic! Just found you via Funky Junk Link party! Love your Master re-do, and your blog! I am following you now, and would love for you to visit when you have a chance! :-)
    Have a great weekend!
    xo-Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lisa! Glad you are "following" along - should be an exciting ride! (I'll be sure to come over for a visit soon!)

      Thanks again!
      Hugs -
      Carol

      Delete
  18. looks terrific, your hard work paid off. Thank you for linking to the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop linky party xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you so much - we love the new bathroom! Thanks for hosting the linky party - it's been fun being apart of it!

      Delete
  19. Carol,
    Wow, that is a huge change! I am so impressed with your vision and the incredible job you did, great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jessica for the sweet comments- we did make "a little bit" of a change in the bathroom - LOL! Hope you'll come back and see some other rooms that were transformed - you won't BELIEVE the guest bathroom! (Spoiler alert!) Thanks again - and have a great weekend!
      Hugs -
      Carol

      Delete
  20. When can you come do our house? :D Thanks so much for linking this up to BeColorful. I wanted you to know that I am featuring your bathroom makeover on this week's Motivated Monday
    pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam - Thanks so much for the wonderful compliments - and I'll be glad to come over - LOL! It was great linking up to BeColorful and thanks so much for featuring our "little" makeover! I'll be sure to keep coming back!
      Hugs-
      Carol

      Delete
  21. Holy Moly what a bathroom makeover. I LOVE the vanity! Thanks so much for sharing at Three Mango Seeds and I'll be featuring this later today! Hope you stop by again and link up! {HUGS}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh WOW! I'm am so excited! I'll be sure to stop by again and share some of our other projects! Thanks Clydia - I"m honored and thrilled!
      Hugs -
      Carol

      Delete
  22. You totalled your bathroom!! What a transformation, it looks gorgeous and what an inspirations for me, as one of this days we're doing the same exact thing...from not so ugly to hopefully gorgeous. Thanks for sharing, just came to see from your featured at TTT at Marty's.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, actually we totally the entire interior of the house! Glad you liked it - and I wish you luck with your project (whenever that may be!)
      Hugs -
      Carol

      Delete
  23. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing! Great Bath! http://josthisandthat3.blogspot.com/ Come and follw me back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much - also thanks for following - I'll be sure to come see you too!
      Hugs-
      Carol

      Delete
  24. What a transformation! Just lovely, and that vanity is gorgeous. I'm your newest follower. Hope you'll stop by my blog when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much - I'm so glad you like the bathroom! I'll be sure to come visit both of you!

      Hugs -
      Carol

      Delete
  25. What a gorgeous transformation!

    Thanks for sharing at Simply Klassic Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow.... major transformation!!! love it!
    Found you on Hookin Up with HoH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tammie - Hope you'll come back and check out my other rooms!
      Hugs -
      Carol

      Delete
  27. wowwow! Love the transformation.. that vanity rocks! Great job..

    thanks for sharing at C&I
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Angie - hope you'll come back and see what we've done in the rest of the house!
      Hugs -
      Carol

      Delete

Where does time go?

I have really fallen off the blogging wagon I guess.  I can't seem to get a schedule down so I don't post - but it's been almost...