Monday, August 9, 2010

Back to work

Well, Dan has me back at work. Actually, I helped with rounds yesterday and then today I also was back to cleaning bathrooms. Doesn't take long for him to get me back to work! That's okay - it's just that my body hasn't decided what time zone I'm in yet, so I have been really tired the last couple of days. In fact, tonight after I finish posting I'm going to go take my shower and get in the bed. I'll read for a while, but when I'm ready I am just going to go to bed - no matter what time it is.

I have been trying to download a picture for you to see for about two hours and I just have not been able to do it (a lot of cloud cover today - just not raining). Anyway, I wanted you to see the bear. Yep, I finally got pictures of our resident bear. He had gotten into a campsite and eaten all the goodies there and had moved to the campsite next door when we got there. I have a great picture of him on top of the picnic table. He is not an aggressive bear, but he isn't afraid of us either. He just looks at us and then will 'mosey' on out into the woods when we yell at him. I sure did want you to see him - I'll try again tomorrow - we are suppose to have better weather then - we'll see.

We also went down and talked to Mark (our boss) about leaving early - and it looks like we are going to be able to and still get our end of the season pay. Mark said that we had to complete 60 days which we have already done, so it looks like we will be leaving here next week. In one way I will be really glad to get back on the road and get "home" to Florida - we will have a "real" home there soon, but in other ways I will be sorry to give up our lifestyle of full timing. You might ask why we are doing this. Well, we will need to take care of my mom and we won't be able to leave her for long periods of time - plus Dan will have plenty to do with the remodeling. I guess it is just time to move to the next phase of our life. Hopefully, we will still be able to do some traveling - maybe a month or six weeks at a time - but we will have to see how things go with mom. I am looking for a full time job again - hopefully teaching. I know that all the stars will have to align in just the right order for that to work out now - but, I am hopeful. I have applied for a full time position in the same school that my daughter Melissa works at - as a sixth grade math teacher. Like I said - everything would certainly have to align just right for this to work out, but it just might. It would certainly help IF I could get a full time teaching position - we would be able to finish working on the house much faster then if I don't - even be able to hire some of the work done, but that is just another aspect that we will have to wait and see what the good Lord has in store for us.

Well, I think I will close for tonight - I really am tired and I want to go take my shower. I will try and post some pictures tomorrow - not only of the bear, but of the salmon run that we have pictures of - if you have never seen it, it is amazing! Everyone take care and ------------

I'll talk to you tomorrow!!!


  1. Good luck and please don't stop blogging. You followed your dream to spend time in Alaska. And like most things in life you found you have to give up something in order to get something. Sometimes the trade offs are worth it, sometimes not. Take good care of Mom and Dan. Those are the two things God wants from you right now. Happy and safe travels. We will get home today.

  2. Thanks Donna - sometimes it is difficult to give up one dream for the realities of life, but we were able to do something for two years that most people just dream of. We should not complain! The next phase will be fun - just different!


Rainy, Dreary Days

Well, I don't know what the weather has been like where you live but here it has been warm, overcast, and rainy.  We are having temperat...