Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving

Today we had Thanksgiving dinner at our house.  This year was certainly different than last year.

Last year we had twenty something people here at the house - and the house was in it's original shape.  This is a picture of the Thanksgiving table last year. 


This is the same room, just a year later - and a much smaller group for dinner.  (But if you look real close you can see that the same decorations are used in both pictures - just in different ways!)


This year it was just our immediate family, and by 'immediate' I mean the family that lives here in Lake Placid - Mom, Melissa, Justin, Dan and I.  We had a somewhat untraditional dinner as we did not have turkey this year.  Melissa and Justin don't like turkey, and Mom only eats white meat, so we decided that we would have ham this year instead.  Dan put it on the smoker and it turned out GREAT!  Then I fixed candied yams, dressing, macaroni and cheese, cranberry sauce, green beans with slivered almonds, and rolls.  Melissa fixed desserts, as she really enjoys baking.  This year she fixed a pecan pie and an apple pie.  I was so full from dinner that I haven't had any dessert, but the two guys said that both pies were fabulous!

The kitchen is now cleaned up, all the leftovers are put away (there weren't a lot of leftovers this year - except for the ham), and Mom and the kids have headed home.  Actually, Melissa and Justin are driving up to Lakeland this evening to spend the night at Justin's parents house before heading up to Georgia to see Melissa's dad and sisters for a couple of days before heading back home on Sunday.  This is always such a busy time of the year for everyone, I'm just thankful that she was feeling good today and was able to eat dinner without getting sick.  She actually had a pretty good day yesterday until late - and then she got sick again.  Maybe, just maybe, we are getting a handle on this "morning" sickness thing.  I sure hope so, as I feel so bad for her when she is so sick everyday.

Today is the first time I really noticed her little baby "bump".  I guess the clothes that she had worn to school has camoflagued the bump, but she had on a dress today.  I'm not sure if you can tell in the picture above or not, but she is definately showing now.  She is already complaining that she can not wear most of her pants - she says she has one pair of jeans and a couple of pairs of work pants that she can still wear.  I told her that I know she doesn't like my "style", but if she wanted to try some of my jeans that are a size 6 (and I also have a few pair that are size 8) and see if she can wear them she is more than welcomed to them.  I don't know if she will or not, but we shall see (I just think jeans are jeans, but Justin already said my jeans are "mom jeans" which I assume is a very bad thing!).

I don't have much else to say today other than to let everyone know that there are so many things that I am thankful for - from the obvious things - Melissa's preganacy and the finding (and fixing) of Dan's heart blockage to the everyday things - my health, a beautiful home, the love of a faithful man.  There are many times that I worry about money and how things are going to work out, but I know that things will work out somehow.  Sometimes lately, I have had the tendency to "live in the past" and wish we had done some things differently - which would put us in a different position now.  But you know what, IF we had done these things we would not have met some of the people that we have met that I think of as friends and I hope that they think of us as friends.  I know that God took us on the path that He did for a reason and I need to live in the moment and let go of the past - enough said.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!  Talk to you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does time go?

I have really fallen off the blogging wagon I guess.  I can't seem to get a schedule down so I don't post - but it's been almost...