Thursday, July 8, 2010

Finally got those berries picked!


Well, I finally got those berries picked that I talked about yesterday - I didn't get it done until today though. Seemed like all kinds of things came up yesterday to keep me from getting to the berry patch. First our "big boss" came out to see us. Actually, the Juneau Ranger District just got a new administrator (Pete, that we met when we first got here retired the first of June), and SHE came out to meet us. She brought Marc boss with her - in case you are getting lost - Marc is the ranger that is in charge of getting volunteers here at the campground. Anyway, she wanted to not only meet us but to see if we had any ideas to make the campground better, or any complaints. We have had some ideas, like putting a sensor on the gate so people can get out if they need to go catch an early ferry, and some complaints - Dan is still complaining about using our truck to do rounds with - and we also suggested that they run cable to the host spot - the host could pay for it IF they wanted to (we would), but at least they would have that option. I don't know if any of this will get done while we are here, but at least next year's host will have the option to have cable.
After we had that meeting Dan decided that we needed to go clean the other bathhouse that we had not done before. So, we went and did that - which took most of the afternoon. By the time we finished I was too tired to go pick blueberries. I did come in and fix dinner and then clean up the kitchen before watching another movie (did I tell you that we had borrowed some movies from the people that we have gotten to know through their camping here - we ate dinner with them a couple of times last week when they were camping). Anyway, we borrowed Windtalkers, Twilight (yes, Melissa, we are going to see what all the hype is about), and two made for TV movies that have been put on DVD - both with Tom Selleck The Jesse Stone series. We have watched everything now except Twilight so I guess that will be tonight's movie.
Today has been a good day - and, as I said, I got some berries picked. I guess in about 1/2 an hour we picked about a quart. I'm hoping to get enough to be able to freeze some to use this winter in pancakes and muffins. We'll see how it goes - I only picked off one bush - I don't know how many Dan picked from - but I don't think he was as thorough as I when it came to getting all the ripe berries off the bush. That's okay - at least he helped me.
The weather here the last couple of days has been great - the sun is shining and the temperatures have gotten up to about 63 degrees. So much better than last week!!! I don't know how much longer we are suppose to have good weather - I think just one more day - I think I heard that it is suppose to start raining again on Saturday - we'll see - Guess we just need to be thankful for the good weather when we get it.
I don't have much else to report today - Dan is waiting for me to go to the store (another thing we didn't get done yesterday). Oh, I almost forgot. The picture at the beginning of the blog is a Trumpeter Swan that is now on the pond in the campground. I thought that you might enjoy seeing him.
Take care everyone and ------------------
I'll talk to you tomorrow!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does time go?

I have really fallen off the blogging wagon I guess.  I can't seem to get a schedule down so I don't post - but it's been almost...