Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Oh my, how things can change!

In my last post I talked about Dan's doctor's appointment and that he had "some other tests that would have to be done, but that they were not anything to worry about".   Well, did I ever have to eat my words!  If you haven't read my other blog (TravelingInTheOutback.blogspot.com) you would not know that we spent two and a half days in the hospital last week and Dan is now the proud owner of a heart stent.  I am not going to go into all the details and repeat myself from the other blog (so if you are interested in all the sordid details, please go to TravelingInTheOutback.blogspot.com to read all about that little adventure!).  Let us just say that I spent a couple of days scared beyond belief and I am sooooooooo glad that everything seems to be working out for the best.
For the next month Dan is on, well how do I want to word this - not bed rest, but he is not suppose to do anything.  The doctor told him to "take it easy and just relax for the next month".  He can not lift anything over five pounds for the first two weeks and then nothing over ten pounds until we go back for his check-up - so that means NO camping.  Now, while I might complain about Dan not breaking a sweat around here, he does quite a bit of work.  Yes, he does it slowly and in his own time frame (not mine) but he does get it done.  Trying to keep him from doing stuff is NOT going to be easy!

However,  I think that he had an epiphany this morning.  He figured out that the reason that the doctors did not want him to do anything was NOT because of the incision in his groin, but because of his heart.  He realized that, while he might feel great, his heart and system went through quite a shock Saturday - and the heart has to get used to having this stent in his artery.  Plus, the stent has to have a chance to "set" and not get pushed around - so to speak.  So, HE has decided to follow the doctor's orders and take it easy for the next TWO weeks, but then he thinks that he should be able to start a walking program after the two weeks.  Just walking to the end of our street and back - which I think will probably be okay.  It is flat - and if he takes it slow and easy I don't think it would be a bad thing to start the exercise program.

So far the biggest change has been the low sodium diet - I mean I have really been watching the amount of salt that we are consuming - I am not adding any salt to the food I am cooking and NO salt is allowed on the table.  So far he is not complaining - we will see how long that lasts.  He is weighing every morning and he has lost a little over a pound so far.  I have been doing all the cooking from scratch, which means no boxed meals or fast food - also all the meat has been grilled on the indoor grill - and NO processed foods.  It will be a big change for both of us, but we will do what ever we have to do to make sure all is well.

Really, that is all that has been going on in this household - we are going to take a boat ride tonight - the canal  and lake is up enough from all the rain that Dan won't need to do anything but pilot the boat which is not a problem - I will tie the boat up to the dock and untie it before we leave - so I really don't think that will prove to be an issue, plus it gives him something to look forward to.

I worked on the pool today - I brushed the sides down and tomorrow I will vacuum it - I think we are going to look at getting another pool service - I don't know if I want to do all the work on the pool myself and we have been having a problem with, what I think is a mustard bloom for over a week now.  I'm hoping that when I vacuum it tomorrow it will get it all back into shape.  We shall see.

Well, I think I will close for now.  I will continue to keep you posted on what is going on with "the man" and how we are doing on the exercise and diet - maybe this is what it will take to have him really decide to lose those extra pounds and get a little healthier!  I hope so!

Take care and I'll talk to you soon!

CD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does time go?

I have really fallen off the blogging wagon I guess.  I can't seem to get a schedule down so I don't post - but it's been almost...