Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Laundry Room


Laundry - oh the joys!  Everyone has to do it - so we might as well make it as enjoyable as possible.

This is my new laundry room------------

I guess that I have shown you pictures of many of the rooms in the house, but I don't think I have ever shown you pictures of the laundry room.  While it might not be a room that is visited by people who visit our homes I believe that it is important that the laundry room be decorated just like the rest of your home.  Of course, that's just my opinion.  Now the picture above was taken right after the laundry room was finished.  You will notice that there are no shelves up or pictures or anything like that. 

So, a couple of weeks later, the next step looks like this -----------------






One of the other functions of the laundry room is some storage - while I have great storage in the new kitchen I still needed some storage for large items like the blender and food processor.  Of course, I had to decorate the shelves too!  Actually, one of the things that we did was to make the shelves adjustable so if  we need to change the way we use these shelves we have the ability to do so.

Our laundry room is right off the kitchen and you come in from the garage through the laundry room. One of the things that I wanted to do when we were remodeling the house was to make this room more assessable and comfortable. Now, that doesn't mean you will go into the laundry room and sit down and spend time, but if you have to be in there doing laundry you want to be as comfortable as possible while you are doing it. One of the things that I insisted on doing was changing the door coming in from the garage - it had been just an old 1980's solid door which closed in the room. I wanted a door with a window in it that would add natural light. Dan thought it would be too expensive. Guess who won - okay, so I actually did win one!

I also was able to add a shelf from IKEA on the wall by the garage door.  This shelf has dual purpose.  It is place that I can hang clothes as I take them out of the dryer, it gives us a place for Dan to put his hat (as you can see from the picture), and it will also give us a place to hang sweaters or jackets when weather turns cooler.

Now, the way the laundry room looks now -----------







As you can see - I have done a little more decorating, especially over the cabinets.

Well, while laundry might not be the most enjoyabe job to do - by making the room neat, organized, and yes, even decorated, it makes the job a little less of a chore!

4 comments:

  1. as with everything, mom, it looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Crystal - and thanks for posting! It's nice to know that you are out there. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From our garage you go into Ted's "man mini-cave" room and then the laundry before entering the house so I try to keep it neat and clean (and a little decoratws) too. On the blank wall I have the ironing board/iron holder, a hamper and a clip strip for holding brooms and mops. In a patio home of our size, you have to make all the space work. Your laundry room really looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Donna - thanks! I am really enjoying the new laundry room - it is so much better than the "before" (which I should have posted some pictures of!)
    @Han- thanks for the comment. You are so right - there are so many more choices out there, but I found myself going back to the "usual rule of white tiles" for the backsplash in my new kitchen. I think there are some definite advantages to white tiles - they certainly make seasonal decorating a breeze and I believe that they are classic and won't date your kitchen, or any other room in your home, the way some of the new "hip" tiles will. While I agree that there are many choices out there, for some, white tile is still a good choice.

    ReplyDelete

Where does time go?

I have really fallen off the blogging wagon I guess.  I can't seem to get a schedule down so I don't post - but it's been almost...