Saturday, July 30, 2011

My "Mighty" Hunter

Living in Florida you have lizards - not big, huge, lizards. Little lizards - that drive the two daschunds CRAZY! This is Jessie (Jessica Lee if you want to be formal, but usually just plain ole' Jessie to us, unless she has done something she isn't suppose to do - but then that's another story). Anyway, back to the picture - this is Jessie - and she has a lizard staked out - she is being very patient waiting for that little lizard to come within striking distance and then she will pounce on that sucker and kill it. Now, don't worry, they (meaning Sam and Jessie) don't eat the lizards, they just kill them. They bite them a couple of times, throw them up in the air, nose them a few more times just to make sure they are dead, then they walk away and start looking for the next victim. The two of them will hunt lizards all day if we let them, except lately - it has just been too hot. Samantha - or Sam to us- is a black and tan daschund, but in 90 plus degree temperatures that black coat get awfully hot. You have to remember, these two haven't been in this type of temperatures - well, since never.

We got Sam eight years ago this past May - and then we moved to North Carolina in June - now we did live in North Florida one summer a couple of years ago - before we hit the road in our 5th wheel and became full time "trailer trash" for two years (okay, not quite two years, but that was the original plan, funny how God changes things for you). We got Jessie a year after Sam, but in September.

I have to say that these are two well traveled dogs. They have seen parts of North America (the United States as well as Canada) that some humans haven't seen! Last summer they were in Juneau Alaska and believe me, it was no where near 90 degrees! They seemed to enjoy the nomadic lifestyle as much as Dan and I did, although there were times, especially on our whirlwind trip back to Florida last August, that Samantha would look at me with her big brown eyes and 'say': "Are we EVER going to stop and stay somewhere for longer than a couple of hours?"

I have to admit that I miss traveling, and it has bothered me more this summer than it did during the fall and winter - I don't know if that is because I was working and I was busy with school, or if it just feels like you are "suppose" to be camping and 'on the road' in the summer time. Oh well, that is not to be right now.

We did go into Sebring today and buy the rest of the lumber so Dan can finish up the fireplace this next week. He worked on it some this afternoon.







Things are looking good! I think he just might have it finished by next weekend if he keeps going like he has been. I'll keep you posted.


Well, I'm going to go out and sit with the big guy out by the pool. Have a good evening and I'll talk to you later!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does time go?

I have really fallen off the blogging wagon I guess.  I can't seem to get a schedule down so I don't post - but it's been almost...