Sunday, June 5, 2011

A Little Disappointed

Okay - in my post on Thursday I told you that the contractor was suppose to start hanging drywall on Friday and I was so excited to come home from work. I so wanted to see how things were coming together with the dry wall up. Imagine my surprise when I pulled up to the house and there were no trucks at the house - no electrician, no contractor's - nothing except Dan's truck. Then I pull into the driveway and I could still see all the way through the house!

I walk into the house and ask Dan what was going on - or more to the point - what wasn't going on? He told me that the drywall hangers didn't get there until about 11 and had to leave at 3 because they already had their 40 hours in and they couldn't get overtime, and - then to make matters even worse - their work week runs from Tuesday to Monday - soooo - that means they won't be at the house on Monday! To say that I was disappointed would be a HUGE understatement!

Now, they did get some drywall hung - but most was in the guest bathroom ----- Let's look at what was done.

This area is where my desk will go - with the master bedroom in the background.
This is the inside of the master bedroom closet.


This will be where the pantry will go in the kitchen -----------------------------------


Now, we get to the guest bathroom - of course this area is over the jetted tub, with the shower to the right.


This is the inside of the shower. We found out that we are not going to be able to raise the ceiling as high in the shower as we had originally hoped. There is a vent pipe that can NOT be cut or moved - so we will have to frame in the ceiling area some and we have decided to tile the ceiling in that shower too since it will not be as tall as we thought it would be.


Then this area will be where the vanity will go and well as the toilet.

We also found out on Friday that the tile guy that the contractor wanted us to use will not be available for 3 to 4 weeks - which will NOT work into our schedule. So, they have given us a different name, which we have already called and Dan will be meeting with him on Monday to get an estimate. The good thing about the change is, this tile man is local (not in Sarasota) and he just finished a big job and is available to do our job now. (Real good thing.)


Tomorrow the man is going to be at the house to refinish the jetted tub - we are going to go with a bisque color instead of a white - Dan wanted bisque and I don't have a problem with that. We had to buy a new toilet anyway - so we will put the white toilet (which we bought when we moved into the house) in the master bathroom and buy a bisque toilet to go in the guest bathroom. Not a big deal.


Yesterday, Dan and I went into town and ordered the blinds for the dining room and for the other window in the master bedroom window. We also picked up all the paint chips for the painter. I called him today and he will pick them up tomorrow. Now, I don't have to worry about that anymore! I think we have pretty much done everything we have to do - we have picked out the tile for the bathrooms, bought the light fixtures, ordered the blinds (we can buy the blinds for the guest bedroom and the kitchen straight off the shelf - no special order required), picked out the granite for the kitchen, vanity for the guest bath ordered. I think the only things we really have left to buy for the house now is the toilet for the guest bath and the new fans (one new one for the living area and one for the guest bedroom), and I still need to find the right headboard for the guest bedroom - I saw one at IKEA but I'm not sure. We also need to buy cabinets to go over the washer and dryer in the utility room from IKEA but that can wait (I just don't want to wait). We'll just have to wait and see how the money holds out since we have added the painter, fixed the sliders to the pool area, taking the old stone off the fireplace and having it stuccoed, and adding the new entry doors. We just have to wait and see how it works.


Well, that's about it for the last couple of days - other than we have new babies at the house. We have a cardinal that built a nest in the hibiscus tree right outside the kitchen window - she laid two eggs and they hatched yesterday morning while we were there at the house doing work. It was so neat to see these newly hatched babies. Oh, and Dan and I took the rest of that ugly wallpaper down in the utility room today!


I guess I will close for today - just know that Dan and I can not wait for all this to be over with and we are able to move into the house and get all settled! But in the meantime - I will keep you as up to date as I can. Take care and I'll talk to you soon!







1 comment:

  1. Whew! I'm tired just reading all of that. It's as bad, or worse, than building a whole new house. I'm certain it will all be worth it in the end though. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete

Where does time go?

I have really fallen off the blogging wagon I guess.  I can't seem to get a schedule down so I don't post - but it's been almost...