Saturday, January 13, 2018

Coffee on Porch

Right after we moved back into the house after all the renovations, Dan and I talked about hosting a "Coffee on the Back Porch" for our neighbors and friends.  We wanted to have something a little more informal than the Christmas Open House and thought that a drop in for morning coffee would be a great opportunity to have some time with friends.  I even went on line and found a person who made custom house flags.  I worked with her and designed a special flag for us to fly on the day of the get together.  BUT all we did was talk about it.  So, finally, I looked at Dan and said "We're either going to do it, or stop talking about it".  We decided to do it and put it on the calendar for the second Saturday of the month - starting in January.

So, today was the day - however, the weather didn't want to cooperate with us - with temperatures down around 39 - a little chilly to be sitting on the back porch.  However, that didn't stop us - no sir - we just moved it into the family room and added a nice cozy fire in the fireplace!



Before Dan started the fire - and, as you can see, it's still dark outside since we started at 7:30!



I put coffee on the buffet and had a few goodies on the table - muffins and a couple of coffee cakes.  We had no idea how many, if any people, would come since the weather was so cold.  But I brewed three pots of coffee (2 regular and one decaf) and was ready for 20 or 0.




Decaf in the carafe and regular coffee in this pot and the pot in the kitchen.


I found this little holder over a year ago - can't remember where - but I took Starbucks Frapachino bottles, cleaned them up, spray painted the tops with chalkboard paint, added the stickers, then filled them with milk, powdered creamer, and half and half.  There is raw sugar in the canister and sweet n' low packets along with regular sugar in the little basket.



 The whole set up ready for guests.

Two different types of coffee cake and two types of mini muffins.





On the table I put a simple burlap table runner and then took two metal tubs from IKEA and put coffee beans and then a votive candle.  When the candles heated the beans they emitted a wonderful coffee scent.

Well, I have to admit that it didn't really go over as we thought it would.  Even though we told everyone on our street and several of our friends - only one couple came.  That was really okay - it gave us the opportunity to really sit and talk and get to know this couple better.  I'm sure that the weather was one of the reasons and a some people told us that they wouldn't be able to be here due to one thing or another (trip out of town for a funeral, visit a sick parent, and one of our dearest friends had surgery on Tuesday and is still in the hospital).  While I was a little disappointed in the turn out - we will try again next month.  As I told Dan, I think it will get better when the weather gets better - and if it doesn't - well, we don't have to do this.  So, the plan is to give a couple more months and if the attendance doesn't get better we will just let this be a learning opportunity and "let it go".

Have a good one my friends!

Hugs!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry that you didn't have a larger turnout, everything looks so inviting! I love the setup you made for the coffee, very creative. It's a wonderful idea to get to know everyone better, so here is to a larger group next month. Hugs, Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue! I hope it gets better, but if it doesn't, that's okay too. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what warmed weather brings.
      Hugs my friend!

      Delete

Where does time go?

I have really fallen off the blogging wagon I guess.  I can't seem to get a schedule down so I don't post - but it's been almost...