Monday, April 7, 2014

Really GONE this time

Well, hello there.
Remember me?
I know, I have been a little on the AWOL list for the last
few weeks - but I am officially on the mend and
as feeling so much better!

Let me go back to my last post - when I thought I had passed
that other kidney stone.  Well, I felt better for about three days
and then the pain came back AGAIN!
I finally called our doctor in Lakeland and made an
appointment - made arrangements with Melissa for 
Lorelai and a week from last Thursday we headed up to Watson Clinic.
The doctor talked to me a little - ordered another CT scan and 
referred me to a specialist.  Before we got out of town
the specialist's office called and I had an appointment
for Monday.

Another phone call to Melissa about the kids and I spent the weekend resting.

Sam, Jessie, and I chillin on the porch.

Monday we were up bright and early and headed up to Lakeland again.

Our appointment was for 10:00 but I had to be there 30 minutes early to 
"fill out paperwork".

Actually made it in to the doctor's office just a few minutes after 10 - vitals taken and symptoms given to nurse.  He gave me a little booklet about Kidney Stones and how they are removed.  After looking over the booklet I told Dan I sure didn't want them to have to go in and remove anything and place a stent in.

Five minutes later the doctor is telling me that 95% of people who have had a stone for longer than 30 days have to have it removed.  I have had mine for a grand total of 60 days!  He told me that the pain I had felt when I thought I had passed the stone was actually the stone moving a little and then getting lodged again.  When the stone lodged there would be pressure that backed up to the kidney - thus producing the pain.  When the kidney shut down (yes, that is normal) the pressure would subside and I would feel better.  Then the stone would move again and we would go through the same routine again.  I was on a four day schedule with pain, feeling better, and then pain.  
Oh the joy!!!

He showed me on the CT scan taken on Thursday where the stone was and that it was a "fairly large" stone that he would have to remove Thursday, his day to do surgery, as an outpatient.  I would be put under, he would use a scope and remove the stone and insert a stent. 

Oh NO!  
Just what I had said I didn't want to happen!!!!

Well, he wanted to do another CT scan to make sure it was still where it had been on Thursday - and an EKG for the procedure - and they would schedule everything for Thursday.

So, down I go for the CT scan AGAIN, called his office to let them know it was done - as he wanted to look at it before ordering the EKG.  The nurse said they would call me as soon as he had read it and to hang tight downstairs.  Well, it wasn't 5 minutes later they called me back and said the 

No procedure was required and to have a nice day!!!!


I can not tell you how extremely happy I was/am!!!!
Not only was THE stone gone but I was free from pain!!!
Now, I still had/have some little bitty stones that
will pass with no discomfort at all, but
the big guy is finally 
out of there!!!!

I kept Lorelai on Tuesday and Wednesday with no difficulty
and then had both girls on Thursday and Friday.

Thursday was also Justin's (my SIL's) birthday - so I fixed
dinner for all of us -
Pork, Black Beans, Rice, and Cuban Bread.
His favorite meal.
We also had some chicken nuggets for Lorelai, along with
some green beans and carrots.
My daughter picked up an ice cream cake for dessert.

The birthday boy.

I think we all had a nice dinner.

Saturday Dan and I scrubbed down the back porch - cleaning the
screens, floor, and even all the patio furniture.
I changed some things around and
we are all ready for Spring/Summer, at least the porch is.
(I really don't think we are going to have a Spring as
the temperature was 92 here yesterday)
Speaking of yesterday -
after church the kids came over and
we grilled some hamburgers and hot dogs - 
Lorelai played in the sprinkler, chased bubbles, played in the
kiddie pool (remember - 92) and had a fun time.
After the two babies, Dan and Justin had their
respective naps the kids went home
and Dan and I settled in for the evening.

We are suppose to have rain starting tonight
and rain through Tuesday - then the
temperatures are suppose to drop back 
down into the 70's for highs.
I certainly hope so, that would mean
we could turn off the A/C for a couple
of days - probably the last time
before November or December.
We shall see.

I know that I have been off and on with my
posts, but now that things are finally really on the mend
my posts will be more frequent.

Hope you all have a great week!

I'll "see" you soon!


  1. I am so glad your stone passed. They are not very fun.

  2. So glad to hear, that the pesky stone is finally gone! In Germany they often "shatter" the bigger ones with ultra sound waves (at least I think that's the kind of wave they are using). New Brunswick had the first nice days that actually where above freezing, so a lot of the snow melted, yeah! You are hoping to turn the A/C off, where we are hoping to turn the heat off :). We are also getting lots of rain tomorrow, starting the day with freezing rain and then up to two inches of the none freezing kind. Happy B-day to Justin!
    Have a great pain-free week my friend!


Rainy, Dreary Days

Well, I don't know what the weather has been like where you live but here it has been warm, overcast, and rainy.  We are having temperat...