Tuesday, October 24, 2017

All the going on!

Well, yesterday I posted about our new food delivery service, Hello Fresh, but there has been a lot of other things going on around here.  Let's catch up, shall we?

On Monday, October 9th, I took mom down to Gainesville for her six month check up with her surgeon.  For the most part it was a good visit - she is not as argumentative since she has been on her anti-depressants and it really showed at Dr. Pickens office.  He and I were able to talk without mom getting angry.  I told him about her diagnosis and he had some questions about it, but as far as her check up with him, all went well.

After leaving the doctor's office we went across the street to J.C. Penny's as mom wanted to return some under garments that she bought in February.  She didn't have the receipt and I told her they might not take them back.  Well, after waiting in line, the cashier told us that they would take them back without a receipt, but would only give her thirty cents per pair - they cost 3pair for $23.00.  I told mom that we would try and find the receipt and we left.  (Mom found the receipt when we got home, so that's something that will need to be returned at some point.)

Tuesday I had a CT Scan with contrast in Valdosta and a doctors appointment with the urologist after at 2:00.  I didn't realize that the CT was with contrast until after I got there - anyway, my appointment was at 11:00 and we didn't finish at the hospital until 12:45.  Dan and I went for lunch and then to the doctors appointment.  The preliminary report said that I have some small kidney stones but they should not cause an issue (not like the last time, thank goodness!)  Anyway, because I have had them before the doctor told me to quit taking my multi-vitamin, change my calcium supplement, and to drink lemonade.

Tuesday night we had dinner at a friends house to celebrate Bud's birthday.  I was really tired and after dinner Dan and I came home fairly early and I went straight to bed where I watched NCIS before drifting off to sleep.

Wednesday was my normal shift at the shop and then home to straightened up the house.

Thursday we attended the dedication  of the new pontoon boat here in the village.  Dan is the "captain" of the boat and I am the "first mate".



The boat is beautiful and Dan is always happy when he is on the water.

Friday and Saturday were quiet days here at home, watching football and doing a few projects here and there.

Sunday was church and then Sunday evening we had the first meeting for the Bethlehem and Beyond performance this year.  Bethlehem and Beyond is the live production of the life of Christ that we do here as part of the Christmas celebration.  Last year we only did the birth of Christ but this year we will portray Christ's life from birth to crucifixion.  Dan will be in the production, but I won't this year as it falls on Adalyn's birthday weekend.  I will go with him to rehearsals and help where I can behind the scenes, but I won't be in the production.

Monday, the 16th, I had my cystoscope (Sp??) in Valdosta with Dr. Chang.  I was really nervous about this test for several reasons but all turned out well and there are no issues with my bladder.

Wednesday morning was my shift at the store and Wednesday afternoon we had our first official trip on the new pontoon boat with the couple that donated the money for the purchase of the boat and several of their friends.  Dan really enjoys piloting the boat but bringing it back into the dock is a little tricky as we have to dock going WITH the current instead of AGAINST the current because of where the entrance/exit is on the boat.  It's fine and we have figured out how to dock without issues, but the first couple of times were a little different.  (Thank goodness we practiced before taking out anyone - hahaha!)

Thursday was busy, busy, busy!  First thing was Mom had a doctor's appointment here in the Village with Dr. G.  It was okay - but she has issues with women doctors.  While the beginning of the appointment was a little rough, Dr. G had her laughing toward the end.  

I had a Membership Council Meeting at 1:30.  I only have a couple more meetings to do before the new board takes over in January.  I'm glad I served but I will be happy when my term as secretary is over.

Then Thursday evening we had a themed Italian Dinner here.  We went with our friends Carol and Neil meeting at the Dining Room at 4:30.  Even though it was advertised that seating would begin at 4:30, it was closer to 5:00 before the doors were opened.  We were very impressed with the variety of food and the taste.  In fact, in my opinion, there was probably too much variety with a buffet line, a pasta saute station, appetizer station, and dessert station.  There was polenta with cheese and fresh basil and balsamic vinegar, meat lasagna with red sauce, spaghetti and meatballs , chicken Marsala, stuffed manicotti w/baby spinach, ricotta cheese, garlic, Parmesan cheese and marinara sauce topped with béchamel sauce, green beans, fried eggplant, roasted asparagus, Italian bread with infused basil olive oil.  The Pasta Saute station had prepared to order by shrimp or diced chicken in garlic cloves and butter tossed with bowtie pasta.  There was pesto Bruschetta, Artichokes Parmigiana and lemon Antipasto salad w/{prosciutto, assorted cheeses, olives, marinated artichokes, mozzarella balls and cherry tomatoes on the Appetizer Bar.  Finally, for dessert there was Chocolate cannoli w/ blueberry flavored cream-filling topped with walnuts, tiramisu, or raspberry sherbet.  So, so much food!

Friday we spent in the garage and workshop.  I cleaned the garage while Dan worked on his work area.  We donated a large black buffet that we bought when we redid the house on Lime Road in Lake Placid.  We had been dragging it from house to house ever since, not really having the place for it.  We thought it would fit in Dan's work shop but it just wouldn't work - so, we finally donated it.  Now my car doesn't beep at me nonstop when pulling into the garage.  Everything is nice and neat again - but it will only last until the next project is started.  Which might be really soon as we finally got the approval to build the pergola.  (Dan and I went lumber "shopping" today)  I would really like it finished by Christmas, but if we don't get started soon that won't happen.

Friday night we went down to Sonny C's in Mayo for dinner - ribs!  Yummy!  I was really bushed by the time we got home, so I changed into my PJ's and vegged out on the couch watching football until bedtime.

Saturday we went out for breakfast before heading home for an afternoon of college football.  I put chili in the crock pot for dinner and we had leftovers for lunch.  There was some good football games on Saturday (Roll Tide!) and it made for a really lazy day.

Sunday we went to church, the dining room for lunch (not impressed - I'm not sure how the same crew can have such a marvelous dinner on Thursday night and a ho-hum lunch on Sunday - just boggles my mind).  Came home and watched a football game before heading back up to the dining room for our Pal night.  We had our trip into town with our Pal - going to the Dollar Store and buying things for their Operation Christmas Child shoebox.  After our shopping excursion, we came back and packed our box before having a pizza dinner.  We started our get together at 3:30 and we were back home by 7:00.  We finished the night watching some more football before I fell asleep on the couch.  Dan just covered me up and let me sleep, knowing that if he woke me up I'd be up the rest of the night.

Today we went back down to Mayo to try a new to us little place for breakfast.  It was okay, but we probably won't go back - among other things the grits were cold and price was too high for what you got. Oh well, you don't know if you don't try - right?    Then we started looking for the lumber Dan will need for the pergola.  It was soooo much fun walking around lumber yards in the rain. First a place in Mayo (the reason we tried the new breakfast place), then into Lowe's in Live Oak (did pick up a few things), and then to Howlands - a locally owed lumber yard.  This is probably where Dan will get his wood as they are actually cheaper than Lowe's and actually has what he wants, plus the delivery charge is much less than what Lowe's charges.  It doesn't hurt that it's a locally owned business either.

Speaking of rain, we are suppose to have some cooler weather arrive in the next day or so.  It won't last - but at least it is the beginning of cooler weather.  I might see a fire in the fireplace in the, not quite so distant, future.  (fingers crossed).

Well, that's pretty much has caught you up. 

Until next time!

Carol

 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, there is a lot going on in the village. It sounds like a great place to live. Dan does look very happy driving the boat. Do you guys volunteer to take people out in it?
    Our weather has been up and down, some frost warnings at night and also really warm (Canadian standard ;) ) weather during the day. At least none of the white stuff yet, lol.
    Hugs and enjoy the beautiful Fall weather, Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - we volunteer to take residents and their families on rides on the river. Dan gets his time on the river and we don't have the expense of a boat. Win/win in my book!

      We are finally getting some cooler weather here - the high today is only suppose to be 75 but we shall see. Also, it won't last long, but it's a beginning of the cool down!

      Hugs my friend!
      Carol

      Delete

Where does time go?

I have really fallen off the blogging wagon I guess.  I can't seem to get a schedule down so I don't post - but it's been almost...