Friday, August 25, 2017

Jacksonville

I have lived almost my entire life in the state of Florida - ALMOST is the key word here as I have lived in the states of Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia, California, Arizona, and North Carolina not to mention all the states we "lived" in when we were full timing, but I had never been to Jacksonville.  Driven through it on the way to Savannah yes, but had never stopped in the city.  Well, that all changed on Friday, August 18th.  

Why???  Well, we had to return all the shirts that I bought Dan for his birthday.  You see, he had told me that he wanted a certain type shirt - by a certain manufacturer.  So, while I was down in Lakeland I went to the local store that carried said brand and bought him three shirts in the size he told me he wore.  I get home and give him his shirts and they didn't fit - not even close.  Sooooo, that meant they had to go back and their was a store was in Jacksonville.  There was a store in Tallahassee, which was closer but we decided to go to Jacksonville because there was an At Home store.  I had been to the one in Nashville a couple of times and really liked the store - it's a big warehouse type store, but all home decor items.  Dan had never been, so we loaded Jessie up in the car and headed the two hours to Jacksonville.

We returned the shirts with no problems and then headed to At Home.  (Thank goodness for navigation.)  I was so disappointed!!!!!  This store was a mess!  No organization at all - merchandise all over the floor - just really a huge disappointment.  We did not buy anything at all!  So, basically, we traveled 2 hours for nothing.  Oh well, at least I can say I've been to Jacksonville now.

Saturday we went into town for a trip to Lowe's.  Dan is working on a few different projects and needed wood.  One of the things he is working on is his workshop in the garage.  We are changing some things around and he is working on finishing the walls and building some shelves in the offset in his workroom.  He has wanted to do this since we did the remodel, but just haven't done it.  So, right now my car is regulated to outside while the garage is full of stuff out of the workshop and lumber.  He also bought wood for a couple of projects in the house, but that will happen AFTER he finishes the workshop.

While in Lowe's we picked up some new cushions for the back patio area - they were having a huge sale/clearance and we bought the cushions for about 70% off their original price. 



After we got home we took a couple of the new cushions and tried them in the chairs out front and liked the look - so went back into town on Sunday to find they had sold them all.  Oh well, wasn't meant to be.  We also picked up a few big pots for plants at really, really good prices.  Now, just to figure out what to plant in them.  Right now, I'm not doing anything outside as it is just toooooo hot!!!

Monday was the eclipse.  We were in a 90% area and it did get a little dark- sorta like late afternoon - we were not able to see it (I didn't buy eclipse glasses).  However, my daughter who lives in Nashville had 100% totality and the video she sent me was awesome!  She said it was the "coolest thing she had ever seen".  We did watch it on television and I imagine that if you were able to experience it first hand it would have been pretty awesome.

Tuesday was a busy, busy day.  I had a doctor's appointment in Valdosta at 10:20 - ended up being a consultation and I am waiting for them to call for all the tests I have to have done.  After leaving the doctor's office we ran to Sam's and renewed our membership, picked up some meat and things and headed home.  I had a Strategic Planning Meeting at 2:00 and then at 6 we had a group scheduled for a pontoon boat ride.  We had 9 people on the boat and it was a nice trip upriver.  We missed the rain showers that were all around us - but there was no lightening - so we were okay being on the river.

Wednesday I had my shift at the shop - first time I had worked my entire shift since June I think.  It was slow, slow, slow with only selling one card.  I did have a few people in the shop and I did get the dusting done before I was relieved.  Dan picked me up as we had to have Jessie in to the Vet for her recheck at 2:00.  She is doing much better, but we are to keep her on the meds and if she has any sign of trouble with her back we are to call them immediately - even if on the weekend.  If we are able to catch it early enough we have a very good chance of not having paralysis.

Yesterday we worked around the house before our scheduled trip on the river.  Well, as we were eating at 5 before our 6 o'clock ride the sky's starting getting dark and we could hear thunder in the distance.  We looked at the radar and knew that a huge storm was headed our way.  So, we went down to the dock and told everyone who had already arrived that we would not be taking the boat out.  I think some people where not happy with us - saying that it was going to pass us by - but Dan and I were insistent.  Well, we weren't home 5 minutes when the sky opened up and the storm hit.  High wind, rain, and major lightening.  I looked at Dan and said "I sure am glad we are not on the river right now!"  Anyway, we have rescheduled everyone for Tuesday night - hopefully, the weather will cooperate.

Today, I have a Executive Council meeting that had to be rescheduled from the 7th of September to today.  Something about a conflict - anyway, it will be back to the grind of two meeting a month now.  It was nice having the summer off and I'm not sure if I want to be on the council next year or not.  Of course, I haven't been asked to serve again, but if I am I'm not sure what I will tell them. Guess that is something I will need to think about.

Well, that pretty much catches you up on everything.  







No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does time go?

I have really fallen off the blogging wagon I guess.  I can't seem to get a schedule down so I don't post - but it's been almost...