Friday, March 3, 2017

February Recap

I have good intentions, really I do.  However, it just doesn't seem like I have been able to find the time to post more than once a month.  So, please be prepared for a long, picture heavy post as the February recap.

I think I have told you in the past that I volunteer here in the Village every Wednesday at the Gift Shop in the Village Square - well, that is how the month of February started.  I can tell you that volunteering on Wednesday mornings is really good for me in getting some paperwork caught up because, for the most part, we are not busy in the shop.  However, since I am the only one there, I can't leave the front desk.  Anyway, on the 1st I was able to get my monthly menu's written - so that's a good thing.

I came home and proceeded to hang a new "wreath" on the front door.

Being the bad blogger that I am, I didn't take pictures while I made this.  But it was really easy.  I had purchased the basket at a garage sale last fall and I picked up the flowers and picks at Hobby Lobby the last time Dan and I were in Valdosta (first part of January).  Anyway, I just cut the flowers stems off the main stem - - put some florist foam in the bottom and stuck the flowers in.  Then I added the "Kiss" and "Hugs" picks and the hearts.

I was waiting for a new flag to hang - which came in on the 3rd.  After hanging the flag we were all ready for Valentine's Day.

I think I have also told you that I was elected to the Executive Committee as Secretary.  We meet every first Thursday of the month and the Membership Council Meeting is the third Thursday of the month.  So, the 2nd I was at the Executive Council meeting at 2:00 o'clock.

Friday morning Dan had a Doctor's appointment in Lake City with his cardiologist.  We get to his appointment - and sit for a little while in the waiting room, we were called back where his blood pressure, temperature, weight, etc. was taken.  But before he was taken to an exam room we were informed that the doctor had been called to the hospital for an emergency and would probably be gone about an hour and had four people waiting for him.  We could either wait or reschedule.  Well, that was a no brainer and we will be traveling back to Lake City on Monday, March 6th.  Since we were already in Lake City we decided to check out a new to us grocery store that a lot of people had told us about - Harvey's.  The store was very nice, clean and laid out well.  The deals were AWESOME!  We picked up several different types of meat and put them in the freezer when we got home.  It isn't something we will do every week, but when we have to go to Lake City for other things (like Dan's doctor), we will probably make a stop and see if we need anything.

Saturday was Market Day here and after a quick stroll through (not many vendors although the weather was perfect) we stopped at the Café for breakfast.  Then came home to start some work.

Now, I need to back up just a little.  We have been wanting to build a pergola in the back yard over the patio, but the block patio that was in the yard was in really poor shape.  So, before the first of the year (probably around October/November?) we had all the block taken up and stacked in the yard.  And there they stayed - finally, we were ready to start working on putting the patio back together.  So, we order some clay - a huge truck load of clay.  Well, we knew that there was no way we could manually spread all that dirt, so our friend Bud came to the rescue.  He drove down with his 1954 tractor and did the initial spreading for us.

 Starting the spreading process.
(Stacked block in the background.)

So, now we had the initial spreading done it was time to "fine tune" it.

So, of course I don't have pictures of the beginning of the manual leveling of the project, but we started next to the back porch and started leveling and laying the block in a pattern.  Dan got about 1/3 of the walkway done in a little over a week.  The Bud came back and helped him.  And this is what we had at the end of two days.

 Dan working on leveling the other half.

 Almost half done

See the darker block above?  Well, that was the day after Bud left and I got out and helped Dan.  I laid those block.  Dan would level the dirt and I would lay the block.

Almost finished!


(or so I thought!)

We are going to go back and lay one more pattern of block on the far side.  It will make the patio just a little wider and give us a little more room.  We are also going to drop down a little and put one row of block on the left side of the picture above for the wood rack (if we have enough block left).  I don't like it on the patio and this would give a visual break between the wood rack and the grill.

is on the agenda for this month, but have some other things that are taking priority right now.  (Explain more later)

On Monday, February 6th, Dan made a HUGE decision.

A couple of years ago Dan bought a new truck - I don't have a picture for some reason - but he LOVED his truck.  He said it was exactly what he wanted.  While it was a F150 it had a larger engine, had the trailer towing package on it, and was able to pull our travel trailer we had with no issues.  However, since we sold the travel trailer it was really overkill for just tooling about here.  So, he started thinking about selling.  First, we looked at trading his truck and my car for a new vehicle (either an Explorer or a Highlander).  We even tried to get a deal together on two different Explorer's and one Highlander - we just couldn't agree on the price.  So, we didn't do anything.  Then, on the 6th, Dan made a decision.  He sold his truck outright to the Ford dealership in Live Oak and bought him a "new" truck.

1981 Ford 100 Ranger

It's actually a full size truck (as maybe you can tell from his tool box in the bed) but a Ranger.  Anyway, so far (fingers crossed), he LOVES it.  However, we all know how Dan can quickly change his mind.  I'm hoping he doesn't.

There are a few things that need to be worked on - the A/C doesn't work (but the man he bought it from gave him all the parts to fix it) and there is a slow transmission fluid leak that needs to be addressed at some point.  I'm not sure if he got the stuff to fix it too or not, but he got a lot of parts as part of the deal.  Just have to find a repair shop that can work on something this old.
Anyway, it's fun tooling around in this oldie but goodie!

The next couple of weeks was a "regular" schedule meaning Yoga on Tuesday and Thursday mornings and volunteering on Wednesday's.  I worked around here on a couple of projects - such as the kitchen cabinets.

  Before the top of the cabinets did not have anything on them - just plain. 
Looks unfinished doesn't it.

During the fall I put a couple of soup tureens and pitchers up there, but I can't find a picture.

 At Christmas I put up some snowman cookie jars.  But, it still looked plain and naked.

 I decided that "plain" just wasn't my style.  So, one day I decided to change things up a bit and this is what I got.

(Okay, excuse the dishes in the sink and the top of the coffee pot propped open, but I took these this morning and I had just washed the breakfast dishes.)

My favorite
We saw something somewhat similar on Fixer Upper and decided to make one ourselves.  We still need to get the saw tooth hangers to put on the back, so for now it is just propped against the wall, but I LOVE it!

 The pretty basket on the far right a friend gave to me after I admired it.  It's one of my favorite things too!

 I made the pig pictured above on the left for my dad for Christmas one year - probably around 1975.  Every time I look at it I think of him and it makes me smile.

A close up of the sign.  I love the way the lettering picks up the color in the valance.

One of the things that I like best about the decorating of the cabinets - I didn't spend a dime!  I had everything that I used - I just had to look around and reuse some things in a different way. 
Love it!!!

Thursday the 16th was a busy, busy day.  Yoga at 8:30 - I had a doctor's appointment at 11:30 - Membership Council Meeting at 1:30 - and friends for dinner at 6.  Dan has been wanting me to fix Southwest Taco Pie and have people over so I finally got it together and did.  I fixed two pies and a Blackberry Cobbler for dessert.  Yummy!!!

Friday, the 17th was the President's Council Dinner.

Saturday afternoon Dan's nephew from Michigan arrived for the night before leaving on Sunday for Lakeland.  He is going to stay in Lakeland for the next six weeks - getting away from the weather in Michigan (even though they had had a very mild winter).

Monday, the 20th, Dan has fasting labs.  Tuesday, after Yoga, I had a hair appointment.  Wednesday - volunteer.  Thursday - Yoga in the morning and then our Artist Series was at 7:00.

Even though there was a performance here in the Village, it was not something we thought we would like, but there was a show in Madison that was much more interesting to us.  Since it was in Madison, we meet Carol and Neil, along with Neil's sister JoAnne, at Denny's for dinner before the show. Denny's is by  the Interstate and about half way between us and Madison.  We got there around 5:30 and we still did not have our meal at 6:15.  The show started at 7, so after asking the waitress if they had started our meals yet and being told no, we said just cancel the orders and we went to McDonald's, picked up a couple of Quarter Pounders (buy one, get one for a penny), ate in the parking lot and arrived before the curtain went up.  Now, to give a little explanation - there was a very large group that had arrived at Denny's just before us and that is the reason for the very slow service.

The program was the Chinese Acrobats and there were FABULOUS!!!!  There were a couple of things that they performed that took your breath away!  Anyway, a great show and I'm glad we went.

Friday morning Dan had a doctor's appointment here in the Village.  He has been having some issues with his knee - so the doctor put him on some medication and it seems to be helping.  We drove into Live Oak to pick up his meds at Walgreens and ate at the local Bar-B-Que place having their special of ribs.  They were okay, but we still like the restaurant down in Mayo better for ribs.

Then on Monday the 27th, Dan's niece and her husband, also from Michigan, arrived for the night after spending the month of February in Naples.  We had a nice visit - I fixed Chicken Enchilada Soup in the crock pot, which was very good - and then they left on Tuesday morning.

Which meant I didn't make it to Yoga class on Tuesday, but I had a meeting at 2:00 to plan the River Wood Subdivision Dinner which will be held on the 16th of March.  Instead of trying to squeeze a dinner in at Christmas time, we postpone the event until March when people aren't so stressed with trying to fit everything in.  Dan had an appointment to get his knee x-rayed while I was at my meeting.

There were a few other things that happened during the month

Like rearranging the entry table.

This was the entry table in September

And this was it in December

 This is it today.

The orchids are a late Valentine's Day present from Dan.

This is a basket that I made earlier in the month.
Yep, I made this basket - I'm pretty proud of it especially since it is the very first one I have EVER done!

Just a little close up

 and another

I'm much happier with the way it looks now.

Well, I think that I have caught you up on the month of February.

Some things are already in the works for March. 

Maybe, Just MAYBE, I'll get a post done next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Rainy, Dreary Days

Well, I don't know what the weather has been like where you live but here it has been warm, overcast, and rainy.  We are having temperat...