Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year's Eve

Here we are on New Year's Eve - another year has gone by and we look forward to a new one. Who would have guessed all the changes that would occur in a year? We were planning on being on the road for at least another year - we had bought the new 5th wheel, and we had the adventure of a lifetime coming up. Well, things certainly changed. Let's take a quick look back at 2010.

The year started with our trip to the Caribbean with our good friends Carol and Neil. The scenery was beautiful and it was a wonderful time for Dan to take some time to recover from his time in the hospital. We enjoyed the relaxation and the time in warmer temperatures. Then we moved up to Unicoi State Park right outside of Helen Georgia for a couple of months. We were greeted with snow a couple of days, and some people that we hope to have as friends for a very long time. Isn't it funny how you can meet someone and know that you will always be friends? That's the way we felt about Don and Judy -special people that make special friends.
The snow in Unicoi was a nice break from all the hustle and bustle that was to come - absolutely beautiful countryside.
Then before we knew it - it was April and time from my mom's 80th birthday. At the time we didn't know that this would be the last time that my mom, brother, and I would be together for a picture.

It is still difficult for me to believe that my brother is gone.


Dan and I watched spring come to Unicoi before our time working there in the park was over. We were able to spend some time in Franklin and visit our church home before the great adventure of 2010 started.



ALASKA!!! A trip of a lifetime. Dan had always wanted to drive to Alaska and see the interior - we had cruised a couple of times, but we wanted to experience all that there was to experience - and while we might not have done everything we wanted to do, we certainly did a lot. Canada, the Alaskan Highway, Tok, Fairbanks, Denali, Anchorage, Seward, Haines, Juneau. We did it all! We will always remember this trip - we just didn't know at the time that it would be our last "full timing" adventure.
When my brother passed away I just happened to be in Atlanta - God sure does work in round about ways. Dan and I had just purchased a home in Lake Placid and when I got back to Alaska we knew that it was time to head to our new home and for our lives to take another unexpected turn.



So, we moved into the "new" house and I went back to work. (Not exactly my idea of a good time, but it is something that needs to be done so we can get some much needed work done on the house). I'm still not sure how long I will need to work - I hope that this is the only year, but I won't completely rule out working another year. I sure would like to have a better year than this one, but I guess I will do what has to be done.
For now, let's just say that this year has certainly thrown us some curve balls, but the best thing you can do is just pick yourself up and keep going. Mom has moved into her house here in Lake Placid and is just about all settled in. We had a great Thanksgiving celebration with extended family and Christmas was a wonderful time with family.



Dan and I took a quick trip to Atlanta to see Crystal and Kim the first part of this week - I also took a cold with me - woke up the morning we were to leave with a sore throat and the cold moved in from there. We came home a day early - after a quick stop in Dowling Park to drop off something there and pick up a few things that Neil had stored for Dan. We stopped by and saw our friends Bud and Joyce for a minute (thanks for the lunch Joyce - fabulous as usual!) before bringing me home and putting me to bed for a couple of days. I am feeling better today and actually think that things are on the mend.
I am as ready as I'm going to be to start back to school next week. The good thing is, I work for a couple of weeks then it will be time for our yearly cruise to the Caribbean - and another year will begin! Who knows what will be in store in 2011!
I hope that you all have a safe and healthy New Year! Thanks for sticking with me as I blog my way through adventures and change. I know that 2011 will bring changes - not only to the house with remodeling (I'll keep you posted on the good, the bad, and the ugly on that as well - I think the title of the blog will certainly come into play in the coming year - I know that there will be times that I will be screaming "Are we there yet????" even if it is only inside my head so Dan can't hear me)- but other changes that we can't imagine. Let's hope and pray that they will all be good changes for us all!
Take care - HAPPY NEW YEAR - and I'll talk to you in 2011!!





4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you and Dan.
    We are moving from Slidell to Bay St. Louis tomorrow for a month, then onto Memphis.
    Hope that you don't have to work [past this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rick and Brenda and Happy New Year to you - I hope I don't have to work past this year either. You guys be safe on your travels and hopefully we will see you somewhere down the road!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a joy it was following you through the year and a delightful read this New Year's Eve night. I admire what you did when life threw you a curve. Doing what we need to do and not necessarily what we want to do is a sign of great personal strength. You and Dan have a lot. Happy New Year and maybe we'll see you some time when we visit Punta Gorda or Orlando.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna - thanks so much for the very kind words - they mean a lot! Happy New Year to you and Ted and we will look forward to seeing you when you come down our way! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete

Where does time go?

I have really fallen off the blogging wagon I guess.  I can't seem to get a schedule down so I don't post - but it's been almost...