Friday, January 1, 2021

Hello 2021

Hello everyone.  I haven't blogged in almost two years and so many things have changed.  From what we are doing to where we live.  To condense two years into a sentence or two, after we lost my mom in August of 2018 Dan and I decided it was time to move back to Lakeland to be near our kids and grandchildren.  So, in November of 2019 we put both houses on the market and bought a house in a gated community about 5 minutes from the girls.  We were fortunate enough to sell the cottage this past September (2020), but our house is still on the market - thank you COVID (if you know anyone that wants a completely remodeled house in a great 55+ community have we got the deal for you!).  The entire community has been shut down to outsiders due to COVID, but we are hopeful that things will improve in 2021 and the house will sell.    

Like most of us, we have spent the majority of 2020 staying in and social distancing.  Our plan of being closer to the girls has not played out like we thought, but we have to make the best of a bad situation. I have spent some of the time cooking dinner for the kids - delivering meals to their front porch three days a week.  That is until I fell in August and broke my right wrist -  it was really difficult to do anything with it for about 3 months. Dan had to take over all kitchen duties (along with helping me with a lot of things), so we stopped all extra cooking.   I finally got out of my cast the first part of November and have been trying to use my hand more and more.  It is still swollen some (the doctor says it could take up to a year for all the swelling to go away) and I may never have the full use of that hand again.  It is what it is and I will have to adapt as best I can.  At least I can write and type again, so I don't feel completely useless.  I don't have the strength in my right hand like I used to and sometimes I have to ask Dan for help in pulling pop-tops on cans and putting heavier dishes in the oven or microwave, but we are doing okay. I am working on exercises here at home to add strength and mobility to my hand and it is some better - practice makes perfect, right?

We were fortunate enough that Crystal was able to spend a couple of months with us this year.  She is working from home and came down from Nashville for the month of June and then came back right before Thanksgiving and left on the 28th of December.  We were able to have Thanksgiving breakfast with Melissa, Justin, and the girls by cleaning up the garage and setting up tables out there.  We were more than 6 foot away from each other but at least we were able to spend the time together.  

Christmas was a Zoom meeting - but we were able to see the girls open their presents (we had delivered our presents to them on Christmas Eve - leaving their presents on the front porch and picking up ours.)  After the delivery we were able to visit for a little while.  We stayed in the car and talked while they stayed on their porch.  It was certainly different but we are happy we were able to still be a part of the morning.

We took all the Christmas decorations down after Crystal left on the 28th, had them up in the attic on the 29th, and the house was all put back together by the 30th. I have done some rearranging of cabinets and we did a little project in the bookcases in the family room.  I'll try and take some pictures and post them with the next entry.  We did receive our Christmas presents to each other yesterday - new, comfortable chairs for the new screened in porch.  It is so nice to be able to go out in the morning and drink our coffee in comfortable chairs.  I plan on spending more time out there in this new year - I am going to try and read more this year and this is the perfect place to sit.  Temperatures will be in the 80's today, before a cool front moves in Tuesday of next week.

Well, I will close for now.  I am happy to be blogging again and I hope that some of you will like my posts.  I hope to post about what we are doing and show pictures of any of the projects we accomplish.  I am not going to say that I will post daily, but I will try and post at least once a week - today we are ready for the College Football Playoff games - Roll Tide ROLL!  Dinner tonight will be Prime Rib, baked potatoes and asparagus.  Looking forward to getting back to eating better than we have in the last couple of month.

Here's to a better 2021 - may we all be healthy and things get back to somewhat of a normal schedule!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does time go?

I have really fallen off the blogging wagon I guess.  I can't seem to get a schedule down so I don't post - but it's been almost...