Monday, April 30, 2012

Monday Menu



Another week has flown by - and I've earned another "dollar".  (Do you remember the old saying 'another day, another dollar'?  - No?  Well, my dad used to say it all the time - am I telling how old I am?)  The work week really is playing havoc on my life.  It is amazing how used you get to a certain schedule and then when something comes along that throws a wrench in it, well it just messes everything up.  (I know, I know, another old saying - "throwing a wrench in something" when things get messed up - I'm just full of them today!).


Anyway, what I am trying to say is, I'm still having problems getting it together with the dinner menu and me working again.  I just don't know what it is (yes, I do but I refuse to say it!).   I'm so tired when I get home that I don't want to do anything but "vegetate" in my chair.  I keep thinking that things will get better, but it hasn't so far - and with my luck about the time I get used to this working thing again, the school year will be over.  I mean, I only have six more weeks to go.   Sometimes that seems like such a LONG time - but I'm sure it will just fly by.


I will say that Friday night, after I got home from work and after we had dinner Mountain Man and I went out and got in the pool - awwwww!  It was heaven on earth -the pool temperature was a balmy 98 degrees!  It felt soooo good - I just floated on my back and let the warm water soothe the savage beast.  (You gotta love solar heat panels and  a solar blanket!)  I haven't been back in the pool the rest of the weekend - it has been raining off and on - but I am NOT complaining about the rain - we need it desperately!




Now on to the menu plan.  Let me let you know right up front that I have switched up some things on the menu plan for next week - I'm going to try and do some Crock pot meals - getting them ready the night before and seeing if that doesn't help with getting a real supper on the table at night.  So,  I will give you the original plan first and then give you the "new" plan.  Okay?
Here we go -


The Original Plan:

Monday, April 30 - Jambayala, Cornbread
Tuesday, May 1 - Chicken Salad
Wednesday, May 2 - Hamburger Casserole, Salad, French Bread
Thursday, May 3 - Slow Cooker Fajitas
Friday, May 4 - Homemade Pizza Night
Saturday, May 5 - Chef's Choice
Sunday, May 6 - Hot Dogs w/Cheese, French Fries


The New Plan:

Monday, April 30 - Jambalaya, Cornbread 
Tuesday, May 1 - Asian Chicken, Noodles, Stir Fry Vegetables
Wednesday, May 2 - Magic Meatloaf, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans
Thursday, May 3 - Slow Cooker Fajitas
Friday, May 4 - Pizza (Movie Night)
Saturday, May 5 - Chef's Choice (Dinner out if we stick to the plan all week!)
Sunday, May 6 - Country Ribs, Potato Salad, Baked Beans

You will notice that Monday and Thursday have not changed.  We will have what I planned on having because both of these meals are quick and easy and don't take a lot of preparation (and Thursday meal is a Crock pot meal anyway!).  Friday we will probably have pizza, I just don't think it will be homemade - it might be Pizza Hut or it might be out of the freezer section at WalMart.)  We won't have the hot dogs on Sunday because we had hot dogs one night this past week (one of the nights I didn't stick with "the plan" but at least we ate at home).

I'm going to be honest here - I haven't made homemade pizza in over a month!   Don't ask me why - there just seems to be something that comes up and I don't get it made.  No, that isn't exactly true - partly but not completely.  I think part of the problem is, I really haven't found a reliable homemade pizza crust - I have tried several and even thought I had found one (remember an earlier post?), but the next week when I fixed the same recipe it was HORRIBLE!  So, we have had WAY more bad pizza (so bad Mountain Man wouldn't eat it, and he eats anything) than good that I am almost afraid to try and fix it homemade anymore.  And let's get honest - when you can buy a pizza from Pizza Hut for $10 and you know that it is going to be good - why fix your own???  So, I am probably gonna drop the "Homemade" part off the menu plan and just put "Pizza" - and just forget the headache of trying to make that "perfect" thin and crispy pizza crust - Pizza Hut you are my "go to" recipe.

Well, that is what I have planned for this next week - we will see if this change up in the "plan" works better than it has for the last two weeks.  How have you handled a change in your schedule?  Has it thrown you for a loop and how long did it take you to "get back with the plan"?  (I certainly hope I am not the only one that is struggling to get it together!)

Have a great week ya'll and I'll see you Wednesday with another "room redo"!

Hugs -

Carol


10 comments:

  1. I love your Monday Menus! They are full of REAL foods! And thats what I can relate too! Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle - that is such a great compliment! I do appreciate it.
      hugs -
      Carol

      Delete
  2. I need to start recording down our menu for the month. Sometimes I'm trying to make the grocery list for the week and totally can't come up with meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea - I know exactly what you mean - that is one of the reasons that I started the menu's - that and I would think I would fix one thing and then I wouldn't have the ingredients that I needed. I find that by doing this I can make one big grocery trip once a month and then just buy perishables a couple of times a month. It saves us BIG MONEY every month! I hope my menu plan helps!
      Hugs -
      Carol

      Delete
  3. You are so organized! I am so bad about planning meals...we just eat whatever we can find. lol...

    Thanks for your nice comments on the entry way with my wreath and covered patio. We are really enjoying the patio this time of the year. The weather has been perfect lately. I hope you can find the million bells.I bet they will grow well in Florida. I recently read that they are a form of a petunia. They are my favorites! Have a great evening, Kristen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristen - thanks for dropping by! I, too, love million bells - but so far we have been unable to find them here - boo!
      Have a great week!
      Hugs -
      Carol

      Delete
  4. Normally I don't do menu plans, when it's just me and Justin, but this week we're keeping two kids while their mom is on a cruise and both working full time. (Hello instant parenthood) So we did a menu plan for the week and it's already been a lifesaver. I even put the meals in order so that one nights dinner gets us a headstart on the next- we have leftover porkchops and tonight we'll make extra rice, so that tomorrow Justin can make his fried rice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jen-Bug -
      Wow! Keeping TWO kids - what age??? I would say that is instant parenthood! I love to do the menu plan even though it is only the two of us - it saves me time and money! Maybe you might do this more now that you see how it can be a lifesaver. (But your ole Aunt is glad to see that you are reading the blog!)
      Love ya -
      Aunt Carol

      Delete
    2. The kids are 15 and 6. The 15 year old is pretty self sufficient, but we do have to feed him and I think he eats as much as Justin and I put together. That "growing boy" stuff is totally true. I don't think leftover night is going to work out, I don't think we'll have enough leftovers, it will probably become hot dog night. And of course I've been reading your blog. :-)

      Delete
    3. Hang in there - cruises only last a week (usually)! I have been told that boys eat all the time - I've never had to worry about that - and won't have to with Melissa's new little one (another girl - yeah!) Take care!

      Delete

Where does time go?

I have really fallen off the blogging wagon I guess.  I can't seem to get a schedule down so I don't post - but it's been almost...