Tuesday, July 5, 2011

4th of July and Week 6 of the Remodeling Project

Okay, I know that it has been a couple of weeks since I have posted pictures of the house and the progress that has been made - so, hopefully, the pictures that I post today will make up for that. First, let me say that I thought that everything would be done by now - but I guess that I was being a little optimistic. Today starts week seven of the project - and while we don't have THAT much more to do - there is still enough that it makes living here in the house a little inconvenient - like no kitchen appliances whatsoever! (My children will never believe this, and they will probably hold this statement over my head for the rest of my life, but I can not wait to get the kitchen done so I can actually cook again!)

So, let's start with week six and look at some of the pictures -


Most of you may not think this is a big deal - but I am so excited about this door. This door leads from the guest bathroom out to the pool area and it used to be an absolutely ugly door. I have been wanting to replace it ever since we moved into the house. Dan kept putting me off saying that it would cost too much. Well, I finally got my way, and it looks SOOOOOOOOO much better!


I don't know if you remember what the fireplace looked like with the dark gray slate around it - and the slanted surround, but now it has a lighter color tile and the surround is squared up. Dan is going to build a mantle for me (that will come in the future - not too distant, but it is not a high priority item right now) and on the side will be a bookcase and display shelves.



This is the shower in the guest bathroom - we still have to have the shower doors installed. We are waiting for one more estimate to come in. Right now we are using a shower curtain on this shower as it is the only one that is working at this point (other than the toilet - both of them are working, which is a good thing!). I think when we get the shower doors up it will make a big difference, plus we still have to have the whirlpool tub covered. It was suppose to be done last week, but we were getting a lot of rain last week so, they put it off due to the amount of humidity in the air. We'll see if they can get it done this week.




This is the master bath - the vanity is not set yet, no shower doors, no lights - so there is still a lot of work to be done in here. However, it is coming along - and really, once the vanity gets set it really won't take long to finish things up (other than the shower doors). The doors are the same story as the guest room. As soon as we get the estimate then we will be able to tell if we can afford to do what we want (the frameless doors) or if we will have to go back with the doors that we had and kept. I am really hoping that we will be able to go with the frameless doors, but we shall see.


Dan has been working to get the kitchen completed so they can install the granite - actually they did come and measure for the granite last week and they are "suppose" to install either today or tomorrow. Since we haven't heard anything from them yet today - it looks like it might be tomorrow - now this was at week six, a lot of progress has been made since we (or I should say Dan) has been working hard on it all weekend. There has been so much drama with the kitchen - the guy from the general contractor that was suppose to install the kitchen left the contractor for another job, but he was still suppose to install our kitchen on the side. However, he came one day and the work he did Dan has had to completely redo. He has told the contractor that we do not want to be charged for the kitchen installation since he has had to do everything.




The above pictures were at week six - now let's look and see what things look like today -------




So, this is the pantry wall (yes, there is still things lying around, but remember we are still living in a construction zone - but it already looks different!



More of the kitchen - no the kitchen sink is not set yet, but soon!


Saturday Dan's daughter, son-in-law, and two of his granddaughter's came down to pick up all the old kitchen cabinets out of the garage. While they were here the dining room furniture was delivered. So, I thought you might like to see a picture of the dining room furniture with the chandelier ---------





While Dan has been working in the kitchen I have been working on getting things clean. From cleaning the refrigerator which has been sitting in the garage for 6 weeks closed up (can you say YUCK!) to cleaning the shelving that goes back into the closets. I have also swept, and swept, and swept construction dust off the new floors. Then I have mopped and mopped and mopped again trying to get them clean. Then it was cleaning the front door and the side lights. I have been busy - it just doesn't look like it.


Finally, last night we decided that we needed a break, and since it was the 4th of July and the town of Lake Placid has their fireworks display over "our" lake, we decided to take the pups and go out in the boat and see if we could watch the fireworks from the boat. It was GREAT! A really nice break for us, the pups were good, and the fireworks were really nice for a small town like Lake Placid.




I think that I have caught you up to date with the progress so far - we are hoping that we will get everything finished up this week (by everything I mean the electrical, plumbing, and outside contractor stuff - Dan will still have some stuff to do - but that's okay!) I will post more pictures as things get done - hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does time go?

I have really fallen off the blogging wagon I guess.  I can't seem to get a schedule down so I don't post - but it's been almost...