Monday, October 23, 2017

Hello Fresh

A couple of weeks ago when we were in Lakeland, I talked about my daughter and son in love cooking us dinner and how good it was.  Well, it was from one of those mail food services, you know what I mean?  These services pack up everything you will need for three meals and ship everything to you all fresh and ready to cook - right down to the meat.  Well, we were really impressed and we decided we would give it a try.  My older daughter also uses this service and she had sent me an email with the first three meals free - so we decided to order and see how it was.

I went online and set up our account and the first shipment was set to arrive on Friday.  We decided that wasn't a good day for us and changed the arrival to Monday's, but because I didn't go in and change it in time,  the first box came on Friday.  

So, the first three meals were:


Figgy Balsamic Pork with Roasted Green Beans and Rosemary Potatoes




Beef Ragu Spaghetti with Zucchini, Parmesan, and Pepperolio

Dan told me that this was the best spaghetti he has ever eaten (he almost didn't tell me because he didn't want to hurt my feelings - ha ha!)





Southwestern Stuffed Peppers with Ground Beef, Quinoa, and Monterey Jack Cheese


The second delivery (on Monday) was:

Chicken Pineapple Quesadillas with Pico de Gailo and Southwestern Spices
      (which I forgot to take a picture of)

Cherry Drizzled Pork Chops with Tomato Couscous Salad which Dan fixed because I had a horrible migraine headache that day - so again no picture.

and 


Winner Winner Chicken Orzo Dinner with Cheesy Roasted Zucchini and Tomato


(We had a visit from the fire department on this dinner because the fire alarm went off for NO reason - you can tell nothing is burnt - but it did make for a little excitement!)

Our third shipment (last Monday) consisted of:




Pineapple Poblano Beef Tacos with Lime Crema, Cilantro, ad Warm Spices





Carolina Barbecue Chicken with Quick Stovetop Mac 'n' Cheese and Green Beans




Adobo Loco Steak
with a Poblano Corn and Crispy Potato Hash

Now, all the pictures above were taken with my phone after I had plated the dinner's and put them on the table so the quality of the pictures are not that great, but the quality of the meals is excellent. 

Dan and I have really enjoyed these meals - they are quick to prepare (30 - 40 minutes), they provide everything you need (the only things I have had to use from our pantry is olive oil and a couple of pats of butter),  we don't have to worry about portion control, but as you can see there is plenty of food, and everything is FRESH!  I love that we are cooking with fresh ingredients instead of processed stuff - fresh vegetables, and fresh spices.  We are eating things that we probably wouldn't have eaten otherwise (couscous, orzo, quinoa), but everything has been delicious!  I'll be perfectly honest - the only meal that I probably wouldn't fix again is the stuffed peppers - not because they didn't taste good, they did, but I'm just not a stuffed pepper fan.  I did eat almost all of one pepper and then I took the stuffing out and ate it and left the other pepper.  Dan and I like that we don't have to worry about three meals during the week - and we usually eat out at least once a week - so I only have to figure out something else a couple of nights.  The price is reasonable at just under $10.00 per person, per meal - so $60.00 a week for us.  We have lots of meat in the freezer - so for the couple of days we don't have Hello Fresh I have meat here.  I just have to pick up a few fresh vegetables and we are set for the week.  We are actually saving money in our grocery budget - a definite win/win in my book.  Also, if you have been reading this blog for any length of time you know that cooking is NOT my favorite thing to do, but with this Dan and I are working together to cook dinner and it's actually been fun.  That in itself should be a reason to stay with this service!

We received our new shipment today and we'll be having salmon tonight, and chicken and beef later in the week.

I guess this post has turned into a post for Hello Fresh, but I really just wanted to let those of you that read this know how good this service is.  I am not being compensated by Hello Fresh at all (I wish),  just really impressed with them.  In fact, we had tried another service about a year ago and just didn't like the food choices and canceled after two weeks.  If any of you that read this would like to try Hello Fresh for free (one week) just let me know and I can send you a link for your first week - I would get a discount on my next order if you try, even if you decide it's not for you, but I don't know why it wouldn't be - ha!!  Anyway, if you are interested, just let me know.

Tomorrow I'll do a post letting you know what all has been happening, other than cooking.  Until then - 

Carol

4 comments:

  1. That sounds amazing, too bad I can't do it. Everything looks very good and I love trying new recipe ideas. Hugs my friend,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do they not have the service in Canada? I really don't know if they do or not, but if they don't, they should. 😁

      Delete
    2. I should have googled it, it does some like the exist in Canada too. I'll talk it over with the hubby, it sounds delicious and compared to our Canadian food prices not to bad. I throw out way to much veggies that I intend to use and then end up cooking something else or not at all because I'm the only one home. I looked at this weeks menu for the boxes and most meals seem freezable for the hubby on the road.

      Delete
    3. I was doing the same, or start to cook something and not have an ingredient. Plus, it's fast - 30 to 40 minutes from start to plating. 😁

      Delete

Where does time go?

I have really fallen off the blogging wagon I guess.  I can't seem to get a schedule down so I don't post - but it's been almost...